Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

moods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok I'm not really sure what to say about this so I'm just gonna type it as best I can. I'm shit at talking about this kind of thing - I originally registered at this site to ask about this but I've got a mental block on it - its taken me this long to get the courage to even write this much let alone think about posting it.

To pretty much everyone who knows me I appear to be a happy person . . . and for the most part I really am. I had a couple of really shitty years a little while (of which i'm really not ready to get into) back around abouts when i first came here but things have settled back to normal. I've got a wide group of friends, i'm quite a confident person, things are pretty good.

The problem I have is something like mood swings. Most of the time I'm fine but every now and then (usually about once every month to six weeks but sometimes more often) I go to an extreme. Usually I'm really laid back - i mean nothing phazes me . . . nothing! I don't get sad or angry or anything. I don't fall for girls, I don't get scared nothing really happens which is fine as far as i'm concerned.

Every now and then I have extreme mood changes which seem to always be one of two things. Either I feel really down, like I'm emty inside. I can't talk to anyone when I'm like this. Its sort of like a nervous feeling - like i'm worried somethings going to happen but I don't know what. Nothing can take my mind off it so usually i snap myself out of it by getting pissed out of my face - which usually works but recently I wake up the next day and the feelings still there.

The other mood i get is real extreme anger. When I was younger i used to get so angry my whole body would shake but sinse a few years ago that has stopped. Now its like it all concentrates itself into a couple of days once every few months. I feel violent like i need to hit someone or something. I can't go out when i'm like this becuase if i drink i cause a fight. My answer to this is to get stoned - this usually balances me enough to get the worst of it out of my system, i just lock myself away from everyone for a day and smoke myself stupid.

I used to hope that these wierd moods would just dissapear that I'd grow out of it or something but if anything they seem to get worse - the moods last for longer and it takes more drink/drugs to get rid of them.

This isn't normal is it? Does anyone else get this? Is there anything I can do about it that doesn't involve councelling?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi There
    Yes, mood swings are normal but the type you're descibing seem very extreme. If they are seriously affecting your life, which it weems like they are then I think you should seek some help, either through counselling or medication - the best thuing you can do to start is visit your GP and tell him what you have told us and s/he can advise you on the best course of action from here.

In the meantime, read the following information to help understand mood swings/ anger a bit better:

How to deal with anger

Personality disorders

Counselling

Hope this helps, take care

:)