Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Secondary PGCE

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Anyone doing one?

I've been soul searching and thinking for months and months about what to do when I graduate, and, given my worldly knowledge and habit of telling people off, I was looking into teaching.

The only subject I'm really qualified to apply for is English, which bothers me, cause I don't really like it anymore. But Leeds offers a course in D&T - Textiles, which is right up my street. I've emailed the admissions guy asking how anal they are about the entry requirements. Cross your fingers, people.

But yeah, my question is, is/has anyone done this course (any Secondary PGCE) and what's it like?

The people I know doing teaching courses are all doing Primary. And the teachers I know are all Primary teachers. hmm...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Teaching in the uk might be of some use to you - loads of forums & stuff to ask questions and find out about the training & whatnot.

Aaaaaaaaaand what little shits the kids can be. :D

Have you had any kind of experience working with kids before, or have you considered doing a bit of volunteering maybe?
  • Options
    cheers!

i've not had any professional experience with kids, but i have 12 younger cousins, so i'm well aware of how twatty they can be. and i remember the shit we gave our teachers at school. but then i remember the teachers that really made an impression on us, and i'd like to think i could do that.

i'm still thinking about it, really. i'm a little worried that i look too young, and i wouldn't get any respect, especially from older kids, or sixth formers. i might look to see if there are any job fair things around where i could go talk to someone. and i'm planning to see the careers counsellors at uni before they close for the summer, to see if they can shed any light...
  • Options
    My mum did a secondary PGCE and she loved it.

By the way i hated my Textiles teacher, but from what i did in it, i reckon you'd really like teaching it (i think!)
  • Options
    I'm going to do a secondary PGCE in science. Was planning to do it this year when i graduate but being 7 months pregnant means i've kinda had to slow the career plans down a bit. The course looked really cool tho. I didn't have a huge amount of experience with kids when i went for the interview but i told them i'd get some in the time before the course started and i blagged a lot by telling them how i helped my little bro's through school and how rewarding it was for me.blah, blah etc
    In the end they seemed to be looking 4 people with common sense and brain power.
    Whether i'll stay a teacher forever is another thing, i quite fancy educational psychology but its easier to get into with a teaching qualification
  • Options
    I applied to do one. I did not get in. You will find it helpful to have had previous experience in schools, especially if your subject is highly contended.

PGCE is *incredibly* demanding. You have to do your teaching plans, your uni work, and teach, and have your own life, so that is four full time jobs at once really.

Having said that, I still would have done it if I'd got onto the course.

Look at the canteach website and the GTTR websites.