Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Preferred type of degree on the job-market

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Was wondering what sounds better when applying for jobs later on:
A single honor degree or a joint one?

As far as I understood, when you take a joint, you go less in dept than with a single subject.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    something im kinda wondering myself.

As for less in one department. Yep- I'm majoring in computer science and minoring in management. Most unis are the same.
  • Options
    I think he ment "depth" dude. I don't know the A to your Q though........... :confused:

Bopz
  • Options
    Re: Preferred type of degree on the job-market
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Was wondering what sounds better when applying for jobs later on:
    A single honor degree or a joint one?

As far as I understood, when you take a joint, you go less in dept than with a single subject.

To be honest I don't think it really matters. At keele uni you have to do a joint honours I believe, but I have never heard or known of anyone getting any different treatment, preferantial or otherwise, from having the wrong degree in terms of single or joint. I would guess that maybe joint honours are often taken by people with interets in a couple of areas who are keen to get a qualification in both, thus maybe keeping their employment oppurtunities more open into the bargain.

As for going into less depth, stands to reason if you have more topics or subjects, you can't go into as much detail as if you were doing a more 'narrow' course so to speak, covering less territory.
  • Options
    I think (but i might be wrong) that u just get joint when u do like a double course - i'm doing politics and economics, so it's joint honours, but if u do say, economics, then it's single honours. apart from that, I don't think there is a difference
  • Options
    Depends what you are looking for.

If you want professional exemptions as a result of your degree, such as with Law, then you have to do the subject with enough depth to get them. If you want an education, then it doesn't matter so much.

I do Law with Politics, so I mostly do Law but I have some politics (about 1/3 of my degree at the end). This gives me a broad degree, but one that covers my professional exemptions (which I probably won't even use now lol)
  • Options
    Yeah it does depend on the job you want I think. I am doing a joint honours in psychology and philosophy, but I have to do enough psychology in my course and I have to do certain modules in order for my degree to be BPS recognised. If you're just doing a degree for the hope of better employment opportunities later on with no specific career in mind, then it shouldn't matter too much whether you do joint or single as it is the skills that you develop that employers will appreciate.
  • Options
    I want to get into diplomacy.

And have encountered a lot of universities offering politics and international relations, which is pretty relevant. But I've also come across single international relations, and international relations with history.
  • Options
    I was doing joint honours before. I was told that doing joint shows you can balance commitments, and have an understanding of more than one area.

You may cover less topics, but the ones you do, will be in the same amount of depth as any university modules.

Why don't you look up some CV's of people who have the job you want, and see what they did their degrees in?
  • Options
    Diplomacy?

Join honours of International Politics with a language would be good. Or straight InerPol. If you are cleaver enough PPP.

I possibly know more than I should - PM me if you want more info.

As a general rule - it probly does not matter too much about joint vs single.... With the majority of jobs its the fact you have done a degree rather than what you have done it in (obviously witht he exception of degree specific roles).

FO