Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

join up plz

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ...Why?
  • Options
    Much as I admire your sentiment, it ain't gonna change fuck all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    exactly!

So you also admire crossfire's sentiment as well as agreeing it won't be very effective?
  • Options
    no, i don't agree with crossfire, it's all anti American and damming our troops and saying they are all abusing iraqis. i'm pro Buish not anti.

i do agree that it won't make a differnce.

Where, oh where, does it say the entire US Army is abusing Iraqis?

Where does it attack troops in any way?

How can it be anti-American? Anyone with a bit of intelligence would be able to distinguish between the actions of a small group of people like Bush's administration and the feelings of an entire nation.
  • Options
    i'm pro Buish not anti.

who's buish :p

on a serious note lukesh, why do you have these views for, i'm not saying you haven't got freedom of speech or nothing but some of your views are so stupid when a monkey can see that they are wrong.
  • Options
    this is the suggested letter to make everything clear to you:
    Dear Mr Bush, it was Hermann Goering, a Nazi planner who once famously said "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders, that is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country." This quotation I suppose could be equally applied to your regime as that is what has happened. Those who have opposed your stance on not only the illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq, but also the manner in which you have conducted your so called "war on terrorism" have been branded as "against us", "unamerican", "unpatriotic" and so on. But Mr Bush we know that is not true don't we? For, you see we the people of the world know that it is a pretence that you have waged your so called "war on terrorism" to fight those who seek to do harm to our "freedom and democratic loving peoples" as your regime has done much damage to those who really seek real freedom and democracy. Your regime has implemented draconian policies such as the patriot act, and sought to create free speech zones where on some occasions people are criminalised. This is not freedom and democracy in action. Your regime has been heavily influenced by the Project for the New American Century group, a right wing fundamentalist group far more dangerous than any terrorist organisation when you consider that the United States has the ability to wipe many countries off the face of the earth with its Weapons of Mass Destruction. And speaking of weapons of mass destruction Mr Bush, why did you not allow the weapons inspections teams from the United Nations to complete their tasks rather than rush into war only to find there were none to be found? Mr Bush, your foreign policy has been a disaster, many countries previously allied to the United States no longer view your presidency as one which they can be associated with; you have tore up international treaties, acted with disregard to those who have tried to warn about environmental dangers to our planet and completely ignored the international community with regard to invading and occupying Iraq illegaly. Mr Bush, I sincerely hope your presidency ends after the upcoming elections, as that would most certainly make the world a better and safer place to live. regards
  • Options
    thats your opinion, I'm not a loony who thinks that bush is more of a threat than saddam Hussien

Nor is anyone else. One of the hundreds of presumptions you have made over the past week.
  • Options
    Lukesh, you've failed to answer even one of the three questions I asked you. In fact, I've even quoted myself so you know which ones I'm referring to.
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Where, oh where, does it say the entire US Army is abusing Iraqis?

Where does it attack troops in any way?

How can it be anti-American? Anyone with a bit of intelligence would be able to distinguish between the actions of a small group of people like Bush's administration and the feelings of an entire nation.

My point is one that has been made many times before: Why do you insist on making ridiculous/irrelevant comments when you've no evidence to back them up with or they're outright lies and misinterpretations?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Much as I admire your sentiment, it ain't gonna change fuck all.

So people should never protest about anything then according to you, even when there are things going on in the world that are really messing things up?!
  • Options
    no, i don't agree with crossfire, it's all anti American and damming our troops and saying they are all abusing iraqis. i'm pro Buish not anti.

i do agree that it won't make a differnce.

Where does anything on that page make such a sweeping generalisation against all Americans? You're saying that's anti American - prove it!

And where does it say there that they are all abusing Iraqis? Admittedly a lot of them seem to be from all the reports at the moment - "Just following orders" appears to be the excuse of the day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NorthernFella
    So people should never protest about anything then according to you, even when there are things going on in the world that are really messing things up?!

The only place it ever acheives anything is France.

The hippies were against 'Nam and it made no difference. Millions of people protested against the war - no difference.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NorthernFella

No, but the last protest that had even the slightest success was the protests about the Poll Tax, but even then the real reason why the Poll Tax was abandoned was due to the internal politics of the Conservative Party at the time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio

The hippies were against 'Nam and it made no difference. Millions of people protested against the war - no difference.

Don't know much about the vietnam war then do you. When American citzens saw the wall of the U.S embassy being blown up in Saigon during the tet offensive they protested. That's one of the reasons the U.S withdrawed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio

Maybe some people don't feel that having their say makes a difference - but it does in the long run. Because of the anti war movement many concerns have been raised in the public arena which would not have been raised otherwise about the illegal invasion of Iraq.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No, but the last protest that had even the slightest success was the protests about the Poll Tax, but even then the real reason why the Poll Tax was abandoned was due to the internal politics of the Conservative Party at the time.

As I have said already, do you honestly believe that many of the issues raised so far would have been raised had it not been for the anti war movement doing their duty and making their voices heard? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Protests do make a difference. Not always sadly, but sometimes.

We were unable to stop the war on Iraq but have no doubt that had the massive protests not taken place the Coalition of the Killing would have hit Iraq with much more force. As a matter of fact on a couple of occasions US leaders admitted they had to ensure civilian casualties were minimised during the war to avoid an even bigger backlash from the public. The infamous 'shock and awe' macho wankest bombing campaign we were promised never took place. There was no bombing of civilian bunkers this time.

Most protests don't make a difference. But some do. And regardless there is a moral issue to it. Even if it does not make any difference I'll always be happy to point to any government "you're not doing this in our name and you murdering bastards are going ahead without the people's support."