Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

oh no, not another pill question!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, ok. Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this.

People can miss periods for all kinds of reasons. I know that line. Stress, not eating, all that jazz...

But if you're on the pill, when you have your 7 day break, it's not a real period, it's a withdrawal bleed. So can you still miss one for all the other reasons?

Google says it's quite common to miss a period while on the pill, but doesn't specify whether it also applies if you've been taking it for years with periods and suddenly miss one.

Comments

• Options
    according to a site:

Q. What if I miss a period?

A. A missed period does not always mean you are pregnant. If you miss a period but know that you have taken all of your pills exactly as you are supposed to, you may continue to take your next pill pack. If you have not taken them properly or if you miss two consecutive periods, you should contact your clinic or physician for further instructions.
    http://www.allhealth.edu/womenshealth/education/health_topics/index.cfm?hera=5F0055&htopic=true

i have never missed a period on the pill but i did have a 'barely there' period once and both brooke and the docs said i probably wouldnt be pregnant.

eta: the concesus on the other sites is you may miss a period whilst on the pill but you only need to be worried if you missed a pill or miss your period next month too.
  • Options
    what if you, um, haven't taken all your pills properly, and, um, fuck. :crazyeyes

i have a doctors appointment next week anyway, so if it hasn't shown up by then i'll ask her about it. but next week seems like quite a long way away atm....
  • Options
    Maybe you should do a pregnancy test?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    Maybe you should do a pregnancy test?

yeah, i tried that. negative. although the days i missed were only a few days before my break, so it would still be a bit early :/

it's a waiting game, i think.
  • Options
    You can't really be sure with a pregnancy test until you are actually late, so for that you will have to wait.
    However, the fpa are really good at answering questions like this - if you call their helpline I'm sure they will be able to help you with your original question about missing periods on the pill.
    Here's the number if you want to call them:

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk
  • Options
    If you haven't been taking all your pills properly then the protection drops away dramatically. So it is perfectly easy to get pregnant, as I know from experience.

You can get false negatives with a pregnancy test, wait a day or two and do another one?
  • Options
    Hope everything's alright Kaffrin. :)
  • Options
    hmmmm.

am getting some odd symptoms now, but not sure if it's something else, or all in my head, cause i've been reading up too much.

testing on wednesday morning, according to my calculations that's best. eek. will keep you posted.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Surely it would be too early for most symptoms?

Some people can suffer from symptoms eg morning sickness, headaches etc, right from conception.

Hope it all goes ok Kaff! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    Some people can suffer from symptoms eg morning sickness, headaches etc, right from conception.

Hope it all goes ok Kaff! :)

Yeah this is true. Best of luck.