Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

tanning on scars?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hmmm, just been thinking about this and i was wondering - can you tan on scars??? im going on holiday soon, but dont know whether to expect white patches where ive scarred (due to eczema)? also, one of my m8s is going on sun beds , but she's quite large (a size 20-22 i think) and so has stretch marks on her legs and bum??? would these be covered by either tanning beds, or real sun???
thank you in advance
xxx
:)

Comments

• Options
    Well - I've got a leaflet from my hairdressers, and in the info about spray-on tan it says it can even out the skin tone, so maybe it can blend in scars and stretchmarks a bit? I'm assuming that applies to real tan too.
  • Options
    I have a rather large scar on my arm where I was cut with glass ages ago and the only thing the sun does is make it really itchy, red and sore.
  • Options
    The sun provides us with Vitamin D, which is good for the skin. Obviously not for NinjaMaster's, though :)
  • Options
    Erm i have stretch marks on my bum from the contraceptive pill which made me like 2 stone heavier.... anyway, i am too scared to go sunbathing (not that i sun bath with my arse out but you get my drift) and if tanning helps i might go to a sun bed place, but sun beds are bad for you arent they? cancer and what not.

i use coco butter which is recommended for stretch marks and other scars... also palmers (the make for coco butter i use(i think)) have a new product out called "scar serum" which is supposed to reduce the showing and makrings on your body..... its like £10 so it mught do the trick as its a tiny little bottle and £10 is alot for a little bottle! lol

hope this helps xxxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by aimz
    i might go to a sun bed place, but sun beds are bad for you arent they? cancer and what not.

Yah, but so does everything these days.
  • Options
    Re: tanning on scars?
    Originally posted by spongebobsgirl
    hmmm, just been thinking about this and i was wondering - can you tan on scars??? im going on holiday soon, but dont know whether to expect white patches where ive scarred (due to eczema)?

Mine tend to stay a little bit paler where I have the eczema scars but if you just go over them carefully with a bit of fake tan you can even it out ok :)
  • Options
    I have a few scars, and when i get a tan the sun makes them change colour obv not same as my other skin, i havent had any trouble.
  • Options
    i have stretchmarks on the back of my hips from years and years ago. you can barely see them when i'm not tanned, but when i am, they just look like little silvery threads. I don't think they do tan, by they don't look stupid or anything, and they're still not that visible.

but damaged skin can be more sensitive to sun, so it's probably best to use a higher factor on stretchmarks and scars.
  • Options
    I've got a 4 inch long, and 1cm thick scar on my left arm.. no tanning will help that :(
  • Options
    Scars tan slightly, but they don't go the same colour as the rest of your skin.

Fake and real tan are not the same- fake tan dyes the skin, so will cover scars, but real tans change the pigment of the skin. Scars don't have pigment, quite often.