Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Good remedy..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
..for sore throats? Anyone know any? I used to get really bad tonsilitus (like end up in hosp) so i had em taken out in october '03, and i woke up yest with such a sore throat, its like my body is trying to make me have tonsilitus again, but cant cuz no tonsils :| anyway, yeah the question :)

Comments

• Options
    I find deqacaine (sp?) good.
  • Options
    i heard of someone who got it even though they had them taken out, not sure how it's possible like.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    i heard of someone who got it even though they had them taken out, not sure how it's possible like.

:eek2:
  • Options
    Gargle with some TCP diluted with 5 parts water. I find it works brilliantly at killing all the germs, even if it is a bit disgusting. Also gargling with whisky or aspirin is good too, although doing it with whisky makes you rather lightheaded!
  • Options
    Re: Good remedy..
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    ..for sore throats? Anyone know any? I used to get really bad tonsilitus (like end up in hosp) so i had em taken out in october '03, and i woke up yest with such a sore throat, its like my body is trying to make me have tonsilitus again, but cant cuz no tonsils :| anyway, yeah the question :)
    I have found that if I get a really swollen up sore throat Ibuprofen helps reduce the swelling. On a different ocassion I have taken soluble aspirin which also helped a bit.

Obviously this is just my own experiences, they may not be suitable for you.

Have you looked on NHS Direct Sore Throats as they have a sore throat quiz thingy that might be useful?!

I had my tonsils taken out years ago, I can't really remember it tho as I was only 6 at the time. But I still get really bad sore throats and my throats bleeds sometimes which is minging. :yuck:

Actually one of the best things I've tried... can't get them here tho... are some very dodgy Brazilian throat sweets that have a picture on the packet of a women who looks like she's having an orgasm!
  • Options
    I can't remember the name of it but the last time I was sick my doc gave me a perscription for this throat numbing spray... just sprayed it down and I couldn't feel a thing.

Um... other than that I usually just drink lots of hot tea and eat couph drops like crazy.
  • Options
    I have a throat numbing spray which the hosp gave me the 2nd time i went in with tonsilitus, its in a green bottle thing, just wana try something diff. Someone suggested Hunny? Anyone tried it?
  • Options
    you can still get tonsilitis after you have them taken out. they just craftily change the name to 'tonsil bed infection'.

my mum gets it all the time :/