Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

healthy snacks?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys, i'm on a bit of a low fat diet, i've put a few extra pounds on of late and im in the highest range of clothes in my wardrobe! I dont want to be back in 8's but it would be good to get in my size 10's again!
I'm doing really well but my drawback is snacking. Dont hve much of a sweet tooth, one piece of chocolate can do me for the day. I love crisps and ryvitas and stuff like that.

Anyone know of any good, low and savoury snacks? I'm running out of ideas and i dont want to hit the crisps n lumps of cheese in desperation!
Any help appreciated :d

Comments

• Options
    i tend to snack on things like that, but started tryin to eat fruit or low fat biccies....try going to boots and looking at their low fat snack range? or some thing along those lines... and drink water!

hope it helps a little... xx
  • Options
    try snack a jacks.

I've got a soft spot from crisps so I started eating snack a jacks instead. They're fairly low in fat and pretty good tasting too.
  • Options
    I ate some hummas today. No idea what was in it, but it tastes ok with crackers.
  • Options
    Well, crisps aren't going to help you with a low fat diet. :no: They're full of fat, calories, and aren't very filling.
    I've got a sweet tooth, and find fruit to be a great replacement. Apples, bananas, oranges, satsumas, etc. Or dried fruit, such as raisins, or apricots.
    Nuts are ok, provided they're not roasted (as oil is used to roast them). They have natural oils in them, and quite a few calories, but aren't full of saturated fat. However, you can easily eat thousands of calories worth of nuts. Almonds, hazelnuts, wallnuts, Brazil nuts, and cashew nuts are supposed to be the better ones.
    Toast is good, with butter (low fat, and not too much of it), Marmite, or jam (sugar, but no fat). But if you're like me, then you can scoff loads of toast.
    Sandwiches are good, with low fat margerine/spread, and some sort of low fat filling - cucumber sandwiches, tuna, tomato and letuce.

I'll guess you've been putting weight on because of your new boyfriend? Been going out, or staying in, and having lovely meals together, and lots of extra treats together? :) That's the mistake I usually make while in the beginning stages of a relationship, and I always put on a few pounds.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXxHelzxXx
    try snack a jacks.

yuk! my missus eats them ...cardboard has to be better ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    yuk! ...cardboard has to be better ...

agreed. :yuck:
  • Options
    the problem with low fat food is it is usually high in sugar which is actually worse!

are you filling up on your meals? because if you're not that will make you want to snack.

how about cup a soups?
  • Options
    The important question to ask is why are you snacking?

If you are snacking because you feel peckish then try drinking water first- quite often feelings of thirst are mistaken for feelings of hunger, and it is the water in the snack that satisfies the feeling. If you are still snacking after that try eating mroe at mealtimes, so that you can go between meals without snacking.

If you are snacking because you are bored try and distract yourself rather than reachign for the food. Again water is quite good for this, so is just wondering around for a few minutes. I'm revising for exams now so it's amazing how every 20 minutes I feel snacky, in order to have a break; I drink water for it, and my complexion is wonderful:)
  • Options
    in my 'what the hell doesn't have gluten in' food experiment, i've found a glass of fruit juice - the thick, fresh, real fruit in blender type juice, fills me up as well as a snack, tastes nicer than water, and is full of vitamins and other good stuff.

popcorn with as little salt as you can bear is a great low-fat snack. also raw veggies like carrots and cucumbers and radishes are great to munch.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    I love crisps so thats a downfall for me too!

Snack a Jacks are quite good but I, personally would recommend the low fat crisps in boots as they are quite low in calories in some packs.

How about fruit as well or is that no good?
    I think Low fat crisps taste crap.
    Good low cal options out of the crisp family are quavers, skips and walkers french fries - theyre all about 90 cals a packet as opposed to the 140/150 cals in your average pack of crisps.
    I dont think low fat diets work, and youre better off controlling calories rather than fat.
    Caramel snack a jacks are lovely and taste like popcorn, but they arent any more low cal than a pack of crisps, you just get more in a pack thats all.
  • Options
    I always find a quick cig instead of the snack does it for me, but I guess that's not for everyone!

sainburys do really nice cup a soups.. things that crunch like carrots n apples are supposed to be good... breaksticks maybe?