Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shop closures

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just wondered if there was anyone here who has been directly affected by Dixons closing some 106 of its shops nationwide ??

Im one of those people affected.

Comments

• Options
    i'm not, but i thought i'd reply anyway. why are they closing so many stores? and will they be finding you work elsewhere?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    i'm not, but i thought i'd reply anyway. why are they closing so many stores? and will they be finding you work elsewhere?

The great news is we shut in 8 weeks. We get a shite redundancy. And as i found out today in answer to your last question, they said they would help try keep us in a job in teh group, but as i found out earlier, there is 1 job available across the way in a currys store and 1 available in edinburgh.
    Then remember that theres over 100 staff in scotland wanting those jobs. So you see how nice they are eh.

I love sarcasm dont you. It means im out of a job and made redundant at the ripe young at of 21. Fan-bloody-tastic.

:( :eek: :mad:

Oh and the stores being shut are being shut because they are "Under performing" Tbh they havent given my store a chance.
  • Options
    Just to be nosey, which store do you work in? I can only think of two. The one on Prince's St and the one in the St James Centre.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Infinite
    The one on Prince's St

I bought batteries in there once :yes:

There is an abolutely stunning brunette lassie who works in Dixons in Dundee on a Sunday morning.

Yes please.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    I bought batteries in there once :yes:

There is an abolutely stunning brunette lassie who works in Dixons in Dundee on a Sunday morning.

Yes please.

Next time your in Edinburgh, you should go into the Princes mall and see the girls that work on the coffee stalls.:love:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Infinite
    Just to be nosey, which store do you work in? I can only think of two. The one on Prince's St and the one in the St James Centre.

I dont work in an Edinburgh store :yes:

out of town store is mine :P
  • Options
    What exactly do they mean by underperforming? Does that mean they're unproffitable, or that they're just not meeting sales targets? Or both?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    What exactly do they mean by underperforming? Does that mean they're unproffitable, or that they're just not meeting sales targets? Or both?

I heard that they just couldnt cope with the net and big shopping stores on the edge of towns.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Richeh
    I dont work in an Edinburgh store :yes:

out of town store is mine :P

Ahhh. I put two and two together and got five.
  • Options
    well, try to look at it positively - spread your wings; try something new.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble

Well basically thats what their saying.

The stores chosen to be closed down werent making the company money, they were basically dragging the company down.

The laughable part is they said they would help all those in stores being closed either try to stay within the group or find other work, so today i get a phone call telling me that theres only 2 jobs available and there over 100 staff wanting those jobs its a bloody joke.
  • Options
    hmmmmm - sorry to hear about your job.

The reason, at grass routes is sadly simple.

The dixons group used to be wear everyone wanted to shop due to the range.

However, with stores such as Tesco and ASDA doing similar products at much lower prices, but still prociding the 2 or 3year garentee shoppers have moved away choosing price over choice.

Dixons group did not price match, trying to play on the "choice" option - but unfirtuantly it did not work. As a result the superstores do more voume, and thus get even better deasl from the manufacture and can therfore do even lower prices. Its a catch 22 situation.

Dixons are shutting the stores in order to try and gain fast capitol in which to re-invest into the group, this is, I presume why there isn't a good redundancy package.

Once again, sorry to hear about your job - hope this explanation sheds some light.

FO
  • Options
    Originally posted by funkyone
    hmmmmm - sorry to hear about your job.

The reason, at grass routes is sadly simple.

The dixons group used to be wear everyone wanted to shop due to the range.

However, with stores such as Tesco and ASDA doing similar products at much lower prices, but still prociding the 2 or 3year garentee shoppers have moved away choosing price over choice.

Dixons group did not price match, trying to play on the "choice" option - but unfirtuantly it did not work. As a result the superstores do more voume, and thus get even better deasl from the manufacture and can therfore do even lower prices. Its a catch 22 situation.

Dixons are shutting the stores in order to try and gain fast capitol in which to re-invest into the group, this is, I presume why there isn't a good redundancy package.

Once again, sorry to hear about your job - hope this explanation sheds some light.

FO

*coughs*

ASDA dont do 3 year guarantee anymore :angel:
  • Options
    Poor luck Richeh, hopefully you won't be out of a job for too long. Look at it this way - it gives you an oppurtunity to try new things. Have you always wanted to work in dixons because I'm sure now if there's something you wanted to do it might be the best oppurtunity in a while to try it.
  • Options
    I am not purley blaming ASDA! Far from it - but that is the principle of why Dixons have been loosing money.....

ok - simplest form.

EDLP = Every Day Low Price

vs

Choice

Dixons went for one, other stores went for the other - customers choose the cheapest option.

FO
  • Options
    Dixons over-extended, like a lot of chain stores do when their star is on the rise, and then when the star starts to wane a bit they panic and retract again.

The right balance is somewhere between the two.

As for the redundancy, find out your rights to see if you can make it better; try ringing ACAS or a trade union, USDAW being your best bet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I thought your shop was in a shopping centre :confused:

Yeh Your right it is in a shopping centre Rach.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    *coughs*

ASDA dont do 3 year guarantee anymore :angel:

Correct.. they recently changed their own exchange and refund policy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Poor luck Richeh, hopefully you won't be out of a job for too long. Look at it this way - it gives you an oppurtunity to try new things. Have you always wanted to work in dixons because I'm sure now if there's something you wanted to do it might be the best oppurtunity in a while to try it.

Tbh it was the one place i really wanted to work because i knew a llot of stuff about things they sold before i got a job there. Took me a ear to get work there in teh first place !
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Dixons over-extended, like a lot of chain stores do when their star is on the rise, and then when the star starts to wane a bit they panic and retract again.

The right balance is somewhere between the two.

As for the redundancy, find out your rights to see if you can make it better; try ringing ACAS or a trade union, USDAW being your best bet.

Tbh with you. This coming from someone who works for the company, They did so many things wrong and the staff at the for front us the sale assistants saw this coming for ages but ppl high up NEVER listen. NEVER take notice because they think they KNOW IT ALL !! and because of that over 100 ppl are out of their jobs.

It really pisses me off.

Im going to have a chat with the management 2moro because im disgusted with the way things have been done and not only that but the piss poor redundancy and the way it works..