Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Self defence

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I know that in previous threads ive said i was thinking about getting a pretend gun that would just make a gun sound to scare off attackers but now im thinking that its not such a good idea. Yet i still want something to protect me when im out and by chance end up in a sticky situation.
Does anyone know any sites where i can get pepper spray or a stun gun or something?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    buy a pen knife, a rape alarm and go to self defence lessons.
  • Options
    Re: Self defence
    Originally posted by Zella
    I know that in previous threads ive said i was thinking about getting a pretend gun that would just make a gun sound to scare off attackers but now im thinking that its not such a good idea. Yet i still want something to protect me when im out and by chance end up in a sticky situation.
    Does anyone know any sites where i can get pepper spray or a stun gun or something?
    gordon bleedin' bennet zella ...you need to befreind and borrow a couple of big looking lads for a couple of brief occasions. once you've shown 'em off you'll have painted another canvass for the viewers eyes. create an impression instead of getting arrested.
    there has to be a better way round your problem.
  • Options
    Thing is rolly, I have big mates, they are all good fighters but with the gang stuff that going down in my area at the mo i need some protection for when im on my own. I cant expect my mates to be there every time i need to go down to the shop or walk home from work at night.
    I would get a cab home from work but i dont have the money and work wont pay for it as im only 15 mins walk away.
    Getting pepper spray i think would be the best idea. Just so i can stop them and get away with out seriously hurting them.

Oh and luby, im not going to get a pen knife cos that would make me just as bad as they are and i could get in a lot more trouble with the police for haveing a knife with me rather than pepper spray.

Oh and rolly where have you been?!?!? Huh! huh!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I little spray bottle topped up with amonia would do.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    with what?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Zella
    with what?

Ammonia - it's pretty nasty stuff so please don't take my suggestion seriously. It can burn and in high concentrations can be much worse. I've seen someone attacked with ammonia before and it's not nice.

look

It's not a good idea to carry things like that around with you. Things like that can be used against you aswell and then there's also the possibility of spending a nightor two in the cop shop.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ok so i wont use that....does anyone know where i can find some regular pepper spary?
  • Options
    Do NOT get any weapons, and do NOT carry any weapons. Any weapons you do carry can be used against you, never ever forget that. What happens if you carry Mace, and one of the gang get it off you, and use it against you? You would be incapacitated, and they could do whatever the fuck they wanted.

Get a rape alarm. They go off at about 120 decibels, and they are fucking LOUD. Seriously, they are your best option- it is something that cannot be used against you.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya Zella,
    I know you're really worried about your safety but please don't add to your problems by carrying illegal weapons too. Pepper spray is illegal as is pretty much anything that is "made or adapted for causing injury, or intended to cause injury".

You probably know all of this but there are articles here and here that may help you find another way to deal with the situation your in.

Good luck,
    CB
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Get a rape alarm. They go off at about 120 decibels, and they are fucking LOUD. Seriously, they are your best option- it is something that cannot be used against you.

i've heard one of them before, my mum had one and she was testing it. to be honest, if i heard one i'd just assume it was a car/house alarm.
  • Options
    One of the most useful things you could do in the long term is to learn some self defence. You don't have to take up a martial art. Just look out for self defence classes. The more you go to, the more you learn, and the more confident you'll feel, and the more likely you are to be able to defend yourself if necessary.
    The rape alarm suggestion is probably the best one so far.
  • Options
    I have a rape alarm thingy, but I usually just use Scott. He's a violent bugger even when we play fight.

I've seen the scars on his face from when he guarded his exes on holidays and such. :)

That's safe enough for moi. :D
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Kermit

i had one and i set it off in the flat by mistake. i thought i was going to be deafened.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    i've heard one of them before, my mum had one and she was testing it. to be honest, if i heard one i'd just assume it was a car/house alarm.

Yeah, but if one is going off in your ear it is very very loud.

Besides which, anything that attracts attentiopn towards an attacker is bad; even car and house alarms attract attention, with people looking out of the window wishing someone would turn teh fucking thing off:)