Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Underage Sex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One of my mates who's 17 just told me he's been sleeping with his girlfriend who's 14.

I've told him time and again that he really shouldn't sleep with her, and he promised me he wouldn't but well he has.

What do I do about it? I don't want to get involved, yet I don't want him in trouble.

I'm going to talk to him again about it obviously and see if I can't knock some sense into him, and i'll speak to his cousin who's he's close to but whether it'll do any good is another matter.

Do you think this is the best thing to do? Talk to him about it I mean - and is there much else I can do?

Comments

• Options
    Personally I don't go on this board much, but i think there are a few posts on topics last this already - all the replies may help you. But i'm not going to flame you for making a post on it - it would be like the kettle calling the pot black.

Anyway my advice: Personally I think that things like this happen quite a bit, and if he gets caught etc. he could be in trouble etc. thats what you already know. I guess your choices are to:

1) ignore it
    2) try and talk him out of it, could get other friends to help you to talk him out of it also
    3) report him to police etc.

I think 3's out of the question outright, and 1 seems to be out of the question for you as you made the post. I would say 2 is the best option, but try not to get too involved in situations like this - never works out good for you
  • Options
    What can you do? Nothing that what. If he's started shagging her its been done already and if he says to her "no we can shag anymore untill your 16 shes gonna end up hurt and confused. All you can do really is hope that they are being careful and using protection.
  • Options
    Well, there's not much you can do about it now. I don't think there's anything you could do either. He's old enough to know better, and is old enough, and wise enough to know that what he's doing is wrong in the eyes of the law, and that he will be in deep shit if he gets caught. I assume he knows that, and/or you've reminded him of that.

I think that you've done all you can do.
  • Options
    these things are always infinitely more complicated than "shes underage"....
    i mean, how mature is this girl? how mature is your friend? how do they feel about each other? how long have they been together? are they using protection? are both of their parents aware of the situation?
    ...notice how complicated it just got...

short of shopping your friend yourself (which would result in him having a record as a sex offender and possible prison time) theres not much you can do to actually stop it....maybe its not your place to interfer.
  • Options
    I know it's always difficult seeing a friend walk into a stupid situation, but sadly there's not much you can do.

If both partners are consenting to sex, know the possible concequenses, and are talking resanable precautions to avoid those concequenses then I don't think there is a problem.

14 is the right sort of time for her to be curious, and start experimenting with sexual activities. It's something we all have to do, and I think the fact that she has a steady boyfriend (who seems to care for her) will help her and suport her through this difficult time.

Your friend, although he's doing the wrong thing in the eyes of the law, as long as he's not just taking advantage of the girl is doing nothing wrong.

If you want him to stop (which isn't your desicion, by the way) I think you'd have much more succes talking to the girl and explaing to her that you think she's making a mistake.

Hope it all works out.
  • Options
    Here's our factsheet on the age of consent. It's good that you are concerned for your friend, but as long as both him and his girlfriend know the risks they are taking and are both fully consenting to the sexual relationship, you have very little power to stop them. Arm him with the facts and then it's up to him to make his own decisions.
  • Options
    i dnt tink u shuld get involved its his life and really he has to suffer da consequences if he gets found out. but u can try for one last time i guess
  • Options
    *blank*
  • Options
    I'm in a similar situation, I made my 17 yr old friend promise not to have sex with his 14 year old girlfriend. He did it anyway though and as long as they are both consenting there aint much you can do about it.

Taking things further will not only ruin your friendship but could land your friend in serious trouble. Just make sure hes aware of the risks which I'm sure he is anyway and make sure hes using protection.
  • Options
    if the girl was ready what was the problem?? personally, i think the consent things is a bit silly. here the age is 12, and there are very few teenage mothers. you can't stop 2 people in love. what's the big deal, ok know it against the law but, really moraly whats wrong?? ok getting preg. at 14 is bad, but if they are careful then what is the problem?? if you think that she is being taken advantage, then you need to speak to her. ok, maybe i'm just being nieve, but this is what i think.
  • Options
    i normally comeout with some obscure fact ive heard and well on the level of her and his maturity

'the age at which decision making skills are normally fully developed by is 19 in both sexes'

im looking for the source of that and in the meantime, i dont get where everyone seems to believe 15yr old girls ar emore mature than 18, perhaps the mature 15yr old girls go for twatty 18yr olds which i wouldnt argue with too much (well i wouldnt want a sexual relationship with a 14/15 yr old and im 18/19)