Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

parents grrrrrrr

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok is it me or general life that when your a teenager that all parents are so god damn protective it really pisses me off. i just finished having a conversation with my mum which turned out to be a arguement and it didn't solve anything!
are parents out to make their kids lives hell! well i think mine are doing a damn good job of it. any one else feel like this?
just feels like they're not letting me do anything and they are caging me in. well i have one thing to say about my parents fuck them!
sorry i just had to have abit of a moan

Comments

• Options
    Ohhh yes, know this feeling FAR to well!!!

they think they know best, and they tell you to grow up, but you are grown up, and when you try to get your point accross they say your behaving like a child and dont even listin to you...

i swaer i'll never treat my kids like i get treat..its just not on....

love sarah xx
  • Options
    i totally agree no matter how much u argue with them u r always the one getting slammed to the floor its like they enjoy making our lives hell............mine say "its the best way to bring you up" yeah hardly letting me go out and shit like that i don't think so!
  • Options
    Parents think they know best. And sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. The problem comes with the lack of compromise. I still argue with my mum, due to the fact that she still she's me as a wee boy, when I'm not. Go with the flow though, yano?
  • Options
    i try going with the flow but nothing ever seems to be resolved
  • Options
    i got on with my parents when i was young, i hated them when i was a teenager, i get on well with them now...

they haven't changed a bit. in retrospect i can now see they treated me pretty well as a teenager. they gave me as much freedom as i could deal with, but knew when to set boundaries. i was just in a 'arrrhhhhh i hate my parents' frame of mind. they could have been the waltons and i would still have complained.
  • Options
    Ice-Babe, your young, of course you won't see eye to eye with your folks. If you bring a life into this world you are going to be naturaly protective of them.. I know I would. Also don't forget that that our parents did things alot different to how a moden day youngster does things. Parents do know best, they've been around the block more than you. :p
    i totally agree no matter how much u argue with them u r always the one getting slammed to the floor its like they enjoy making our lives hell.

Respect works both ways, I know from experience. Sometimes you just have to swollow your pride and get on with things no matter how much they piss you off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by _Hermione_
    Ohhh yes, know this feeling FAR to well!!!

they think they know best, and they tell you to grow up, but you are grown up, and when you try to get your point accross they say your behaving like a child and dont even listin to you...

i swaer i'll never treat my kids like i get treat..its just not on....

love sarah xx

Ditto. My parents are always nagging me about my "maturity", and doing "silly things". I swear when i have a family i'm going to be awesome, and "with it". No fucking way will i be old fashioned and annoying like mine.
  • Options
    Aren't you like, 12?
  • Options
    No i'm 19. Why?
  • Options
    Originally posted by PartyAnimal1245
    No i'm 19. Why?

ice-babe, not you :razz:
  • Options
    According to her profile she's 14.
  • Options
    Dear ice-babe

Dealing with over-protective parents can feel a lot like banging your head repeatedly against a brick wall. Sometimes the only thing that kept me going was the knowledge that it would feel soooo good when I stopped.

To them you are their darling little baby who just got out of nappies (has it REALLY been only 10 years???)

The bad news is that you are obviously stuck with them for the duration. But you are not alone, and you are not the first to go through this! Here's Dr Smith's guide to dealing with the PARENTS FROM HELL :mad:

1.) Tantrums are out. No matter how mad they make you, screaming "WELL F*** YOU ANYWAY! I DON'T CARE!" etc, will only point out to them how in need of stern parenting you are! So, keep your cool. (Easier said than done, right?)

2.) One thing you could consider is to demonstrate what a mature young lady you undoubtably are by offering (now, stick with me here, don't friek out!) to take on some responsibilities, for example get a job, offer to help more around the house etc.

3.) There are times when you just have to sit down with them and say (for example) "look. Quite frankly a girl of fourteen should be able to decide when she goes to bed, I am not a child any more." or "All of my friends are going out as well, so I will be perfectly safe as there will be plenty of people around." As I said, be calm cool and collected and if she turns your conversation into a "Mummy knows best" brick wall, then it's her problem. If you don't engage and stay calm, parents can find it VERY un-nerving.

BUT

4.) PICK YOUR BATTLES CAREFULLY. If you argue about everything and/or things that don't really matter, the less your parents will listen to the voice of reason.

5.) For GODS SAKE don't start smoking. It will only push your parents over the edge and you *WILL* regret it.

Hope this helps, wish I could wave a magic wand and make all parents reasonable. The good news is that in 4 short years you are out of shawshank!

~Dr Smith
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_smith As I said, be calm cool and collected and if she turns your conversation into a "Mummy knows best" brick wall, then it's her problem. If you don't engage and stay calm, parents can find it VERY un-nerving.

[/B]

Hmm....when i'm trying to explain something to my parents, i stay calm and explain everything to them nicely, but i still get the "Mummy knows best she's perfect" thing. Blah!