Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Contraceptive pills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Could anyone tell me the "hidden dangers" of the different contraceptive pills? Me and my mum have been arguing because she won't let me go on the pill because its "dangerous" and is apparently really bad for you.

Is there any truth in this? Seeing as thousands of women take it every day, I think it's a load of crap because she doesn't want me to have sex, but I just want to be protecting myself and be responsible.

Comments

• Options
    there are very slight risks - there's a slightly increased risk of getting deep vein thrombosis (the risk increases if you also smoke) and experts are still arguing about whether it can lead to an increased risk of breast cancer.

these are still very very slight risks, and not nearly as high as the risks during pregnancy.

and also there are some benefits to taking the pill - it has been shown to provide some protection against ovarian cancer, and cancers of the inside of the womb. it also helps protect you from osteoporosis. also because of its effect on your cycle, you are less likely to suffer from PMT, heavy periods, anaemia, etc...

i think your mum is just trying to scare you. millions upon millions of women take the pill without incident and it's one of the most reliable forms of contraception, taken properly.

for an unbiased discussion, try popping down to your doctor, or a family planning clinic. they'll be able to assess what's best for you without any of the scare tactics.
  • Options
    ive been on the pill for bout 8 months now, and i never got thrush before i went on the pill but since i have been on it ive had thrush nine times and now it appears i ahve the symptons for it again! there are a lot of benefits to the pill such as lighter periods :)
  • Options
    I was on the pill for about 6 years. The first time I took it I was really worried about the prospect of putting such a drug into my body every day but I did it so I wouldn't get pregnant and it was the most effective way to stop that happening. Like every drug there are risks but you have to weigh them up against the benefits.

If you are going on it to stop pregnancy then it may well be a good thing. Does your mum know you are going to be taking it for that reason? It may be that she thinks if you go on it you will become a 'loose' woman, or be more likely to take risks.
  • Options
    It's probably best if you read up on all the facts yourself first and then make an informed decision about what is best for you. Some women find the pill fantastic and others have horrible side effects that they don't want to live with, so it's really a matter of personal choice. Here are some features you may like to read:
    Combined pill
    Progestogen-only pill

Also, remember that the pill will only protect you against pregnancy and if you are having sex, you will also need to use condoms to protect against STIs.

The following organisations will also provide you with more information about contracpetion:
    Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Telephone: 0800 0185023
    www.brook.org.uk

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    If you are going on it to stop pregnancy then it may well be a good thing. Does your mum know you are going to be taking it for that reason? It may be that she thinks if you go on it you will become a 'loose' woman, or be more likely to take risks.

I want to go on it to firstly avoid having my period when the GCSES start, because I'm in absoloute agony for the first day, and also to generally help with my horrible heavy, agonisingly painful periods. I don't think she understands just how painful they are - 4 feminax pills and 2 ibuprofen and a hot waterbottle don't even make it bearable - and yes I know I'm taking too many feminax pills at once, but I get desperate. :(

Ty for everyones help so far :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fish_Socks_1
    I want to go on it to firstly avoid having my period when the GCSES start, because I'm in absoloute agony for the first day, and also to generally help with my horrible heavy, agonisingly painful periods. I don't think she understands just how painful they are - 4 feminax pills and 2 ibuprofen and a hot waterbottle don't even make it bearable - and yes I know I'm taking too many feminax pills at once, but I get desperate. :(

Ty for everyones help so far :)
    [/QUOTE

Then I think you should keep the pressure on to go on it. It does help many people with their PMS and other symptoms.

I think you can go to the doctor yourself and get it so tell your mum that you are going to do that and hopefully she will respect you for being honest.

good luck.