Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why shouldnt smoking be banned in public places

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey people i would like your views on why smoking should be banned in public places thankz

Comments

• Options
    If you wanna kill yourself go ahead, just dont kill others in the process.
  • Options
    Re: why shouldnt smoking be banned in public places
    Originally posted by Tigger
    Hey people i would like your views on why smoking should be banned in public places thankz

Why is the title different to your question? do you want to know why it should, or shouldn't, be banned?
  • Options
    I think Public Smoking should definately be banned. I dont care if people poison themselves in the privacy of there own homes but sharing your horrible fumes with other people in public is just... rude.
  • Options
    I think it should be banned in public places. Smoking in a personal choice. If you wanna smoke, then fine, whatever. But I choose not to smoke and so i shouldnt have to breathe in the fumes from others. Its unfair.
  • Options
    its, as they say in scotland, bowfin! it makes your eyes sting, non smokers have no choice about breathin it in. it make syour clothes and hair stink when you have been in a pub full of smokers. its just pure stinkin!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Christian
    I think Public Smoking should definately be banned. I dont care if people poison themselves in the privacy of there own homes but sharing your horrible fumes with other people in public is just... rude.

You all need to bear in mind that Pubs and clubs are owned by people too. Telling someone not to smoke in a pub where the owner allows smoking is similar to telling someone in a house not to smoke; your premises, your rules.

I've said it before, if you're that bothered about the smell of smoke, get in touch with bar\club owners.

[and before you cry on about me being biased as i smoke, i'm a reformed smoker]
  • Options
    Also i think if it was banned in public places, that some people may find it much easier to quit, i know i would, in fact i want it to be banned. Maybe its my lack of willpower, but i need to quit, because i dont want my future to comprise of health problems.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nash
    Also i think if it was banned in public places, that some people may find it much easier to quit, i know i would, in fact i want it to be banned. Maybe its my lack of willpower, but i need to quit, because i dont want my future to comprise of health problems.

Then i advise you go and see your GP - you can easily get prescription smoking cessation aids :)

Forcing people to quit is stripping us of yet more rights and is a perfect example of this nanny state we have going on at the moment.
  • Options
    I don't think that it should be banned, from smoking in public places. I would maybe understand like in bars/pubs because they can't seclude off a certain area for a smoking area, but like for restaurants, I would say just to seclude an area for just smoking and the rest be smoke free, like some of the restaurants around where I live.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nash

Interesting, but the author of the most succesful self-help book disagrees- if people are forced not to smoke, it makes them stubborn and more determined TO smoke. I agree with him.

I don't think it should be banned in pubs and clubs, because if you disagree with smoking so strongly then you can go to a pub or club that doesn't allow smoking. I think all places serving food should be forced to have separate smoking and not-smoking rooms, because smoke makes food taste minging, but if you want to ruin your food then go ahead- just don't ruin mine.

It is disgusting, but if enough people want non-smoking pubs and clubs then we will have non-smoking pubs and clubs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MySuffice21
    I would maybe understand like in bars/pubs because they can't seclude off a certain area for a smoking area

They can.

Most British pubs used to have two rooms- a lounge where all the nice chairs were and a bar or "tap room" with stools, wood floors and where all the people in filthy clothes could go for a quick pint on the way home from work. It wouldn't be too hard to put them back in again, and have the tap room for smoking and the lounge for non-smoking.
  • Options
    smoking in public should definately be banned. i was out last weekend, decided to drive as i was skint... ended up leaving at 11.30 cos i couldn't take the smoke in my face anymore. if it was banned and ppl were made to go outside to smoke, they just wouldn't bother smoking at all!
  • Options
    Originally posted by natos
    if it was banned and ppl were made to go outside to smoke, they just wouldn't bother smoking at all!

Uh yes they would