Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Europe Counts 2004

DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
Hello.

We've been asked to get people's thoughts on the below website.

http://www.europecounts.org.uk/

It's part of a push to get more people voting in European elections.

Will it work for you? Would you vote anyway? Woould it work on people who aren't very interested in politics? Do you even care what goes on in Europe?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For those who want a non partisan window into Brussels-based EU reporting in order to note the key topics being discussed at the EU level and those involved in the process, check out this news service...

http://www.euractiv.com/cgi-bin/cgint.exe/646920-274?11&1011=boutus1

This will assist in getting a handle on a range of EU policy areas.
  • Options
    I don't KNOW whether to vote or not!

NO party's policies correspond with my views!!
  • Options
    People don't vote in EU elections because the UK media has implanted the view that the EU isn't to be trusted, and serves no purpose.

Much as websites like this will be good at changing this viewpoint, they unfortunately won't work. The people who see the EU as bad are those who aren't educated enough to see the good; the uneducated rarely wish to change their views, or be educated. Cynical as it sounds.

I will vote in the EU elections, but unfortunately the vote in Europe doesn't mean that much- EU politics doesn't feature on the doemstic spectrum unless it's about Livingstone's pathetic exploding buses.
  • Options
    The first elections i can vote in, im so excited:hyper:

Why can't young people be more like me? :(:p
  • Options
    I will definitely be voting. The EU has an enormous influence over our country, so it is essential that we have our say.

Not sure the website will persuade anyone. It is very confusing and hard to find the useful information among all the gimmicks. Frankly, Mr Murdoch will have far more success in getting people out to vote.

Congratulations Renzokuken. I remember becoming 18 and able to vote. It is exciting.:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    No one is interested in the EU, thats why no one bothers to vote. EU is a had influence of the UK in my opinion.

And the reason why people see the European Union as a bad thing is because they are disinterested enough to not bother researching all the good things the European Union has and will achieve.

Why is the EU a bad influence on the UK?
  • Options
    EU has lots of bad influences. It's now become a Political game intsead of a trading Zone which it susposed to be.
    I agree. We signed up to a common market, but it is slowly turning onto a federal superstate.
  • Options
    I'll vote regardless (my first vote! yay! I'm all growed-up now), but I'm not sure who I'll vote for...
  • Options
    I'm too young to vote.
    So your conscience is clear, you never collaborated with your slave-drivers.
  • Options
    EU has lots of bad influences.

Name one.
  • Options
    The fishing industry wrecks itself with irresponsible overharvesting of stocks. If not for EU controls and quotas, there would be no fisheries left in Europe.