Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Communication in Iraq

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know what efforts have been made to improve communications in Iraq between the everyday people and the occupying forces?

All I hear is about leaflet drops, do they do anything else like broadcast on Radio or TV to let the people know what their plan is for Iraq?

Do they teach American soldiers to say please and thankyou in Arabic and other basic words like that?

It seems to me that the people of Iraq would be less prone to violence, uprising, etc if they knew what was going on and were kept imformed.

I wonder how many of the people of Iraq would feel if they knew some of the foreigners kidnapped were Children's Aid Workers, or there to help build waste systems to take away the waste that might otherwise spread diesease.

I just think that there doesn't seem to be much effort put into communications.

Comments

• Options
    Well so far the Americans have been more interested in closing or gagging newspapers and TV stations than encouraging them to flourish. All the hallmarks of a democracy then! :rolleyes:

Their only other efforts seem to have been creating a Fox News-style propaganda news channel to blurb out all the good news and how well Iraq is doing thanks to the American saviours. Oh, and when they impose curfews and no-go areas they record a tape in Arabic and blast it out of their Hummers- so at leat the locals can understand whether they are about to be shot on sight for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But otherwise the US soldiers appear to show the same communication skills as they've always had, shouting 'move move!' or 'get the fuck down/away/off' in English whenever they need to communicate with the locals.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Quite early on during the occupation, there was a story about British soldiers training US soldiers in communicating with the local population...... I will see if I can find a link.
  • Options
    I'm not surprised... the British soldiers are much better trained in dealing with the locals in a respectful manner and defusing potentially hostile situations.

They're also not nearly as trigger-happy as the Americans, which helps if you're trying to communicate with others.
  • Options
    British Soldier to US Soldier: and whatever you do mate, don't use the word "fanny"!

US Soldier to British Soldier: umm, okay but i refuse to go around asking for a "fag"!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

But otherwise the US soldiers appear to show the same communication skills as they've always had, shouting 'move move!' or 'get the fuck down/away/off' in English whenever they need to communicate with the locals.

I'm watching the BBC 1pm News and just saw a female American Soldier warning Iraqi's to stand away or they might get shot ... of course she was shouting the whole thing in English :eek2:

Really I can't understand why every troop in Iraq doesn't have at least one translator with them, if a little bit of understanding can save 1 life then it's worth it... I'm sure there are enough English/Arabic speakers in Iraq they could hire.

Most of the problems now with uprisings seem to be cos of the slow response to fix things and get systems in place like an Iraqi government.
  • Options
    Any Iraqi government installed by the occupying powers will have zero legitimacy in the eyes of the Iraqi people and will thus be nothing more than a stepping stone to justifications for a permanent occupation of the country to prop up those so imposed on the country.

Are posters aware that 14 US military bases are under construction in Iraq and that our withdrawal from Saudi Arabia continues apace?

Bringing "Democracy" to Iraq has always been a bogus facade for our true intentions of securing a permanent base of operations there. Necessary, of course, for long term control of the oil production and distribution.
  • Options
    I didn't know that. That's disgusting beyond words.
  • Options
    Inded it is and puts lie to anything this administration claims by way of virtuous intents for the people of Iraq.

Just another way of quietly establishing the new status quo for the region.