Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Easter Sunday opening hours and the law

If there is supposed to be a separation of Church and State and people of other religious denominations (or none whatsoever) are supposed to have equal rights with Christians, why is it that large shops are still not allowed to open on Easter Sunday?

Why is it a form of disrespect to go to my local Homebase to buy some paint on Easter Sunday? To me it's just like any other Sunday. I ain't a Christian and I suspect the there wouldn't be a shortage of Homebase employees who would be happy to work on Easter Sunday. But they're not allowed by law.

Why are our lives still dominated by certain religious superstitions in the 21st Century whether we believe them or not?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    don't know mate but it was friggin annoying. i went to band wotsit ...only to find them closed ...argghhh.
    good point though ...will the shops be closed for ramadam?
  • Options
    Not sure if it might be the choice of shops to close rather than open but Southend was like the end of the world on Sunday, apparently come the apocolapyse all you'll be able to buy is cheap shoes and computer games.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    Southend was like the end of the world on Sunday,
    same here ...place was deader than heaven on a saturday night.

but ...a few miles down the road in Rhyl ...you can play bing and slot machines and the likes all day long. so it's a sin to shop on easter sunday but not to gamble ...strange these christians.
  • Options
    And why should shops be open at Christmas time too?
  • Options
    Fuck 'keeping Sunday special'.

Britain is largely secular now.
  • Options
    I'm unsure.

Leaving aside the religious issue, Easter and Christmas ARE traditional holidays. I personally think that large shops are open enough, and that they do enough damage to local communities anyway.

IN a country where people work too much, having the shops shut for a few days a year can only be a good thing. Because whilst working on a Sunday is "voluntary" people don't have a choice, and most supermarket workers are women with families- something that can only be abad thinkg for social cohesion.
  • Options
    Here here, Kermit. Nothing's sacred anymore, and I don't mean that in a religious way. Societies need to have some common points of reference to remain cohesive: to keep from killing each other off for fuck's sake! It's come to the point where having a decent week-end off has become a privilage only for the rich (though I suppose you could argue that it's always been that way).
    Think of what a pain in the ass it is when your time off doesn't jive with any of your friends. You either have to sacrifice a good night's sleep and therefore diminish your productivity at work the next day, or you have to rain-check for months on end, waiting until your schedules match. That's just one small taste of how the calenderless work week fucks up communal unity.

So there :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    Not sure if it might be the choice of shops to close rather than open but Southend was like the end of the world on Sunday, apparently come the apocolapyse all you'll be able to buy is cheap shoes and computer games.

You know, I've always used Southend, as an example of what would happen come the apocolypse, too... :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    I think Halfords was, too.

yes it was, but that's cause it's classed as an emergency type thing - car parts and so on.

we still live in a predominantly christian country, and so we generally observe christian holidays. just the way it is. same as if you go to a lot of places in europe, everywhere shuts for a siesta in the early afternoon.

if you knew the shops were going to be closed, you should have bought what you needed in advance.
  • Options
    As for the shopping thing, personally I have no problem with the closure. Is it really too much to ask for shops to close at least two days per year (the other being Xmas Day)...

So these dates fit in with the Christian calendar. So what? Why should this be offensive to anyone?
  • Options
    Highly inconvenient. I know, there are many other Sundays when they can open but it is still a pain.

And it is the fact that they are not allowed to open that buggers me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Highly inconvenient. I know, there are many other Sundays when they can open but it is still a pain.

There were several law breakers then ;)

My local shop for a start...
  • Options
    I've just looked it up on the DTI website and small shops have no restrictions on any Sundays apparently:

Under the Sunday Trading Act 1994 the limits on shop opening hours are:

• Small shops (under 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - no restrictions on opening

• Large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft)

o Monday to Saturday - no restrictions
    o Sunday - Opening for 6 hours only, between 10am and 6pm
    o Easter Sunday - closed
    o Christmas Day (when on a Sunday) - closed

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/sunday.htm

I don't understand why though. Is this then to do with competition and giving small businesses a chance? Or with 'respect' for the Christian faith? And if the latter, why are small businesses allowed to open then?
  • Options
    Re: Easter Sunday opening hours and the law
    If there is supposed to be a separation of Church and State and people of other religious denominations (or none whatsoever) are supposed to have equal rights with Christians, why is it that large shops are still not allowed to open on Easter Sunday?

Why is it a form of disrespect to go to my local Homebase to buy some paint on Easter Sunday? To me it's just like any other Sunday. I ain't a Christian and I suspect the there wouldn't be a shortage of Homebase employees who would be happy to work on Easter Sunday. But they're not allowed by law.

Why are our lives still dominated by certain religious superstitions in the 21st Century whether we believe them or not?

Seperation between Church and State in this country are you sure?

Anyway all countries have their own customs. Aren't there parts of Spain that still shutdown for four hours during the day, everyday?

Regardless of religious beliefs I think its great that people are forced to do something for 2 days out of 365 to do something besides shop.

I personally used to hate working Sundays.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    Fuck 'keeping Sunday special'.

Britain is largely secular now.

Secularisation is hard to measure. I'd say that looking at church attendance statistics it's dechristianised... at least on the side of group worship.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Easter Sunday opening hours and the law
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Anyway all countries have their own customs. Aren't there parts of Spain that still shutdown for four hours during the day, everyday?
    Yes but that is to honour the Goddess known as Siesta...
  • Options
    I thought it was to give us English some much needed recovery time before our night-time assault on the bars and clubs!
  • Options

Christian or not, the MAJORITY of workers don't want to work on any sunday, let alone Easter sunday.

Small buisnesses can open because they are generally of the convienience store or petrol station type.

As for the Spanish siesta, I find it highly annoying that a supposedly developed nation thinks it's productive to shut shop for most of the afternoon and for it's citizens criticise us for wanting a day off once a week.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    As for the Spanish siesta, I find it highly annoying that a supposedly developed nation thinks it's productive to shut shop for most of the afternoon and for it's citizens criticise us for wanting a day off once a week.
    Spanish shops are open for the same number of hours a day you know... they simply close later at night.

Stopping for a siesta is one of the best things you can do to yourself. Doctors cannot praise it enough... ask yours.

But the point I was trying to make does not relate to normal trading hours or competition- it relates to forcing stores to close solely to preserve the sensitivities of some of the people who adhere to a religious faith.

Yet again another example of organised religion dictating what people and businesses can or cannot do.
  • Options

But the point I was trying to make does not relate to normal trading hours or competition- it relates to forcing stores to close solely to preserve the sensitivities of some of the people who adhere to a religious faith.

Yet again another example of organised religion dictating what people and businesses can or cannot do.

You may have been right 30 years ago when EVERYTHING was shut on a Sunday, but not now.
    The British are traditionally hard workers. We put more hours in than any other nation, and it's killing us. We NEED at least one day of the week where we can relax, drink a beer, sit in the garden or wash the car.
    By allowing shops, who care only for profits to open all day on a sunday you are killing off one of the last chances people get to spend good time with their families.
    You are adding to the big companies ability to make yet more money off our backs and turning us into a nation of seven day workers.
    I already work 45 hours a week, my girlfriend works about 50. She works sundays and bank holidays because the shop she runs INSISTS on being open as much as possible. Which is more important?
    Proving a point about religion, or allowing the people one last refuge from the hectic lives we are forced to lead.
  • Options
    Stopping for a siesta is one of the best things you can do to yourself. Doctors cannot praise it enough... ask yours.

So true, from a business perspective it is believed that it makes people more productive too...
  • Options
    Though it must be said that it is a real killer having to go back to work in a hot summer afternoon after you've gone home to have lunch and a siesta. Sooo happily having a nap on the sofa and then it's time to get up, leave the house and commute to work for the second time in the day.

Whowhere, I completely agree with what you have just said. And I'm certainly not one to champion the rights of companies to maximise profits by making employees work longer and harder.

But the issue relates to one particular Sunday of the year not the other 51. And the forced closure is being done for the wrong reasons. I'd be more than happy for more strict regulation regarding opening hours of big stores when it's designed to give workers a real day off and to protect small businesses. It's the ''you cannot open on this particular Sunday because some people mark the ‘resurrection’ of their god on this day and you might offend them'' argument that pisses me off.

Incidentally, there is a law in Spain now limiting the number of Sundays big stores are allowed to open per year. They can open up to 8 Sundays only per year. This law was passed to protect small businesses from the intense and unfair competition of big stores.
  • Options
    . It's the ''you cannot open on this particular Sunday because some people mark the ‘resurrection’ of their god on this day and you might offend them'' argument that pisses me off.

You may disagree with the rule, but it certainly does the job of keeping the shops shut for at least one day a year.
    It may not have any real reason to do with god anymore, but the unions have seized it as a good excuse to make it so we don't have to work it.
  • Options
    What's so special about Sunday? Nothing to me, just like any other day, usually got bored. That was until i got my sunday job! The annoying this is though it means i can only work 6 hours a week. I wouldn;t have a problem with doing 9 hours, so whats the problem?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    so whats the problem?
    interfering bloody government!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    interfering bloody government!

Now that I am not falling asleep I have come up with a half decent counter arguement ;)

If i work more hours, that will mean that i will pay more taxes. Thus meaning that the government will get more of my money, and could use it for redistrbution of wealth or something. Therefore if i could work extra hours on a Sunday It would be benifitting society more as there will be more taxes!