Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dyspraxia & hidden disibilities

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey people,

Just got back from Cardiff and after years of waiting, I've finally been asessed for dyspraxia.

Funny really because I always thought I was thick, that I was useless and clumsy... but the diagnosis I had made me think otherwise.
Dyspraxia is an impairment or immaturity of the organisation of movement. It is an immaturity in the way that the brain processes information, which results in messages not being properly or fully transmitted. The term dyspraxia comes from the word praxis, which means 'doing, acting'. Dyspraxia affects the planning of what to do and how to do it. It is associated with problems of perception, language and thought.

In a sense I'm relieved to have a diagnosis now because in college they told me (when I told them about my difficulties in reading and writing and concentration) that it was all in my mind and there was nothing wrong. I mean back in school I'd been told I was lazy, messy and had poor organisation and got bugger all help. But now... well I guess things will change eh? I'm not too scared to consider university now because I'm entitled to help if I need it...

Just wondering if anybody's been in the same boat.

Comments

• Options
    i sed to be very dyspraxic, until my mum became a brain gym pracitioner, and i did the exersizes, which sorted out the cordination and stuff. so go find someone who does brain gym.
  • Options
    What kinda excercises you do?
  • Options
    crosscrawl which is marching on the spot knees up and elbows touching the oppsosite knee. once each side. go slowly and don't worry if you are wobbily cos most people are at first. thats just one of them there are writing based exercises reading based, all sorts.
  • Options
    Ooh, I've got that!! I'm not too bad, most folk say they wouldn't have known if I hadn't told them. I just tend to be a bit clumsy, I can't judge differences or tell left from right. Two primary schools and two High Schools didn't pick up on it, and by the time it was diagnosed last year I'd been out of the education system for 4 years, so it doesn't really matter to me. Yeah OK so I drop things and walk into doors and stuff... most folk I know think its kinda cute! Don't let something like this stop you from going to university. Dyspraxia doesn't make you stupid, just special!:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*Angel69*~
    Ooh, I've got that!! I'm not too bad, most folk say they wouldn't have known if I hadn't told them. I just tend to be a bit clumsy, I can't judge differences or tell left from right. Two primary schools and two High Schools didn't pick up on it, and by the time it was diagnosed last year I'd been out of the education system for 4 years, so it doesn't really matter to me. Yeah OK so I drop things and walk into doors and stuff... most folk I know think its kinda cute! Don't let something like this stop you from going to university. Dyspraxia doesn't make you stupid, just special!:)

yeah I get that... the whole 'cute' thing... 'specially how I word stuff apparently is odd.

My Mum always thought I had it, although it wasn't picked up on in school or college. I always felt slow and lazy and people picked on me, but hey who cares? I passed my exams...

Did you go to the Dyscovery centre in cardiff?
  • Options
    Did you go to the Dyscovery centre in cardiff? [/B]
    No, I left school a few weeks after my 15th birthday, with no qualifications at all. My family knew I wasn't stupid and my mum was sure what I had was dyspraxia but the school didn't listen. So I worked for a couple of year doing jobs like cleaning and shelf stacking, which give you so many oppertunities to drop things and brake stuff. Then my Mum found out about an organization called LEAD (linking education with disability). A woman from there came and talked to me and more or less took one look at me and said I was dyspraxic and also had discalculus (which is dyslexia but only for numbers). I don't think I'll ever be able to drive but apart from that, I don't feel limited at all. And there are upsides. I drop things a lot and so spend a lot of time bending over, which always keeps blokes happy. My ex said he'd never go out with anyone that wasn't dyspraxic after me!:D