Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advertising to kids

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody else think that companies like McDonalds should be banned from promoting unhealthy foods to kids via bribing them with toys or bright and happy adverts?

Comments

• Options
    Yes but it won't happen.

In an ideal world adverstisers would be banned from manipulating children, full stop, but big companies will never allow that to happen.
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmm. I'm not sure to be perfectly honest. My first response would be to say no, this is just another attempt to take away parent's responsibilty to ensure their kids eat healthily.

However kids can be persuasive little buggers. Hmmm.
  • Options
    i think public awareness and education is having an effect on them already. starting to introduce healthier options i believe.
    the thing is ...why do people need to eat so god damned much anyway? i usualy manage to wait till i get home. saves time ...saves money ...saves health and no parking problems.
  • Options
    Since one of my mates started to work in McDonalds and started telling me horror stories I refuse to eat there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Yes but it won't happen.

In an ideal world adverstisers would be banned...
    As far as I understand Ideal World is a world where everything is banned. Somebody doesn't like hamburgers, somebody doesn't liike cheesburgers, sombody doesn't like Bundesbuergers. Is there anybody who likes everything? Such people don't exist so there is not a single thing under Heavens that couldn't be banned. Whould you like to live in Ideal World?
  • Options
    I think it should be banned, it annoys me when my son asks to go to KFC cos they are dishing out Scooby Doo toys. He doesn't even like chicken!
  • Options
    Re: Advertising to kids
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Anybody else think that companies like McDonalds should be banned from promoting unhealthy foods to kids via bribing them with toys or bright and happy adverts?

It's okay banning advertising from McDonalds but children will still eat some very unhealthy food at school or at home.

So what's the point?
  • Options
    The point is about unfairly targeting the vulnerable.

McDonalds go far deeper than just advertising I'm afraid. As hack Nick Cohen has reported, the evil clown has started 'sponsoring' schools in Britain- something that it's been doing in the US for a while- and giving them educational books and grants.

All very well you might think. It's only when you examine the books that you realise some nursery rhymes have been 'updated' and now have the odd suggestion to visit McDonalds added to their lyrics. Other books have good old Ronald the clown splattered all over them.

Talk about brainwashing! :mad:
  • Options
    i'm of the opinion that if you shelter kids from too much while they're still young, as soon as they become independent, they will not be able to control themselves.

a better idea, i think, would be to teach kids about advertising, and say that yes, ronald's very colourful and funny, but his food isn't very good for you. and it's ok to go sometimes, as a treat, but fast food shouldn't be part of your diet.

if you ban advertising for small children, then as soon as the child is old enough to be exposed to it, they will be all 'who is this mystical ronald creature and his magical foodstuffs? i must experiment'.

life is full of tempations, and we can't ban them all. better parenting, i think, is the answer.
  • Options
    one fact - our average calorie intake has lowerd in the past 20 years! its exercise thats the problem

but instead of putting it in black and white its the duty of parents to educate their kids to not get brainwashed by adverts, parents not taking repsonsiblities, my mum only ever got me McDees as a treat occasionally and made sure i knew it was only a treat
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The point is about unfairly targeting the vulnerable.

McDonalds go far deeper than just advertising I'm afraid. As hack Nick Cohen has reported, the evil clown has started 'sponsoring' schools in Britain- something that it's been doing in the US for a while- and giving them educational books and grants.

All very well you might think. It's only when you examine the books that you realise some nursery rhymes have been 'updated' and now have the odd suggestion to visit McDonalds added to their lyrics. Other books have good old Ronald the clown splattered all over them.

Talk about brainwashing! :mad:

They should put fat ginger kids on the adverts instead.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    a better idea, i think, would be to teach kids about advertising, and say that yes, ronald's very colourful and funny, but his food isn't very good for you. and it's ok to go sometimes, as a treat, but fast food shouldn't be part of your diet.

You don't have kids, do you?

If you do, I would love to find out how you get that message across to a five year old...
  • Options
    i have a young nephew and a whole load of young cousins, and they all understand that. i even have a cousin who became vegetarian of his own accord at about 6, and who now, at 9 thinks macdonalds et al. are 'evil'.

and my parents brought me up in that way. the only times i remember going to macdonalds as a kid it was for someone's birthday (you know those shit parties they used to have in the 80s), and i remember knowing that it was just for a treat.

you can teach kids anything if you find something they can relate to.
  • Options
    Parents should set limits too....you can't just blame it on advertising. Kids have to be taught by their parents that they can't have everything they see.

My friends kid knew the Macdonalds sign by the age of 2 and all because she taught him that he'd get a burger if he was good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    She taught him that he'd get a burger if he was good.
    Aargh don't even get me stsrted on that! How can you teach children such an unhealthy relationship with food? Children are instinctive eaters, they eat when they're hungry but parents teach them to expect food when they're good, etc. and that sets them up badly for life. :mad:

Rant over... apologies for sidetracking.
  • Options
    Sorry kaffrin, I'm not suggesting that a parent cannot stop their children from having McD but I personally wouldn't think that it was possible to get the intricate nature of advertising across to a five year old!

Personally, I go for the "no" approach. I don't have to justify it to my children.

I would agree that we cannot blame the whole situation n advertising, and parent are responsible for much of what their children ingest. I do, however, feel that the advertising puts an increased pressure on them and that it is morally reprehensible for advertisers to target children in such a way. It's hard enough to be a parent without having to fight adverts too...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Sorry kaffrin, I'm not suggesting that a parent cannot stop their children from having McD but I personally wouldn't think that it was possible to get the intricate nature of advertising across to a five year old!

ah, no no... i wasn't suggesting you detail all the ins and outs to them, just something along the lines of 'yes, mcdonalds have a funky clown and they give out toys, but the food is bad'.

if you do that hand-in-hand with the 'no you can't have it approach', then, in my experience, it works.

only instead of saying 'you can't have fast food because i say so' which is guaranteed to cause a tantrum of the 'it's not fair' variety, try 'you can't have fast food because it's not good for you and i don't want you to be poorly'.
  • Options
    Personally I think the problem isn't with the fast food industry, its with the parents. They should be the ones deciding what their children eat and no one else. Its far too easy these days to blame everyone else but yourself.

Tantrums in my house were not tolerated. It was a nice day you weren't sent out to play, forget about vegging in front of the TV all day. Also I cannot remember one kid at my primary school who got driven to school and it was pretty rare at my secondary.