Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

eeek. workwear. help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so i've started applying for jobs. like proper jobs, and in anticipation of needed to go to interviews and stuff, i need some help.

my normal style is just about as casual as you can get. and i hate dressing smartly, cause nothing really suits me. i end up looking like a 12-year-old playing with my mum's work clothes, and really awkward and not like myself at all. and i know in my head what would look good, and on anyone else, it probably does, but when i try the things on, they are just all in the wrong proportions.

by some miracle i have acquired, somewhere along the line, a pair of smart trousers that look quite good on me, but now i have nothing to wear with them.

they're black, fitted at the top, and flare out a bit at the bottom, and have a fairly subtle pinstripe.

any suggestions for the kinds of tops that would look good with these, and where i can find such tops?

also i have a shoe problem. i refuse to wear heels, and i absolutely hate those pointy-toed flat shoes that are around, but it seems my only other option are ballet-style pumps, and my feet are so small they just look stupid in them. help!

Comments

• Options
    What about shirts? I have always worn a shirt and black trousers to interviews. And for shoes what about loafers? Or is the heel to big on that? :/
  • Options
    If you look around in highstreet fashion shops they do tend to have quite a few smart tops that aren't shirts and stuff but would be suitable for wearing to work. Anything fairly plain that keeps you suitably covered up I think would be okay for work, maybe those tops you can get that have like a collar and a V-neck but no buttons?

As for shoes I think there are quite a few flat, non-pointy pairs around, its best to try them on with your trousers so you'll see how they'll look on you when you're at work, you said the flat ballet type ones don't suit you but if they're mostly hidden under trousers it doesn't really matter too much what you wear.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Priceless Shoes, flat loafers, £10. At one point there was 3 of us at work wearing them. They're cheap, comfortable, flat and smart. As for a top, probably best with either a shirt, or just a smart top. I have a couple of tight wool v-necks from Miss Selfridge, but I don't think they have them in any more. That kinda thing though; it's smart but not overly so.
  • Options
    thanks guys :)

i got some shoes today, which i don't particularly like, but they're quite smart, and they're dead comfy... and like has been pointed out, loose trousers + small shoes = can't see them anyway. so that's one problem solved.

i have also been trying stuff on. tried fitted shirts and jumpers, and they look ok, but i seem to have the ability to make everything look like 'kid on work experience', and i'm trying to project a 'graduate' vibe.

i will keep trying! i'm gonna wander into the next clearance shop, cause next can make anyone look middle aged :)
  • Options
    depending on the job....could you wear a plain (white) teeshirt to the interviews with a fitted suit jacket over the top? Or even a shirt with a tie?...i know that sounds boy-ish, but it can be really smart.

Flat shoes are all over the shops right now, lots of round-toed ones too. I dont like the pointy ones either. You could wear boots maybe...you'll only see the toe anyways :)
  • Options
    I don't know if this is what you're looking for but I like striped shirts like this because they look nice dressed up with a suit to give off a 'smart but cool' look.
  • Options
    That would look smart with black trousers for any interview, you should go for something like that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i will keep trying! i'm gonna wander into the next clearance shop, cause next can make anyone look middle aged :)
    :( I love Next! I'm hurt! I did notice that Dorothy Perkins had the sort of v-necked jumpers that dominatrix mentioned, in lots of colours. I live in black trousers and smart shirts when I need to be smart, because I never feel right trying to be girly.