Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Don't like my body

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i *think* this is the right place for this.

Basically i do not like my body, I am 5 foot 8 inches tall and weigh 55kg. However, i am really skinny, always have been, skinny arms, legs, waist, neck everything. However, i beleive that i have gotten a tummy somehow. It looks awful, i look like one of those little grey aliens, well i thought so anyway. I just wonder what i should do? I mean i dont really want to lose weight as there is virtually nothing anyway, something like 8 and a half stone. But the tummy has to go, and im sick of being so unbeleivably skinny. I know some of my freinds have much much better bodies than i do. I tried doing sit ups, but i always kept forgetting. Is there anything useful i can do?

I *may* monitor what i eat for a week or something, just to see how much junk i do eat..

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    what is it you actually want to happen? do you want to get bigger? like maybe build some muscles? or do you just want to lose your tummy?

it's likely you have a very fast metabolism if you eat junk yet are still skinny. therefore i wouldn't worry about losing the weight. if you ate sensibly for a couple of days it would probably go back to how it was!

if you want to get bigger then the guys i know eat loads of protein and shakes and a bit of junk here and there. if you team that with weights then ta daaa. joining a gym would be a good start because they have a weights room and you can get professional advise.

you might get more help in the 'sport and fitness' forum btw.
  • Options
    yus. if you're eating a load of junk, you're just going to get flab where you don't want it, and a clogged up heart.

if you're trying to generally gain weight all over, try eating good healthy food, but just a lot more of it. loads of protein will do the job better - eat loads of meat and cheese and beans and fish. try having 4 meals a day instead of 3. eat junk if you want, but don't live off it. you'll send your cholesterol levels through the roof.

and then a bit of exercise should help.

you'll probably find that you get a bit chunkier as you get older too. loads of my guy friends were skinny as teenagers, but now they're right fat bastards.

and don't stress over it. there are those of us who love skinny guys. horses for courses and stuff.
  • Options
    If you are skinny, and yet you still have a bit of a flabby belly, then it could be down to a lack of exercise, or eating too much fatty food (often combined with too much alcohol which adds calories). Or a combination of too little exercises and fatty junk foods.
    So, if you're eating fatty junk, then you should try a low fat diet, and some exercises (a couple of dozen crunches every day for example). No more than that. Just give it a few months to see if it makes a difference.

Of course, you could just be imagining it. Maybe just being negative about your body unnecessarily.
  • Options
    I know i am going to try and get back into doing sit ups (i was doing 60 a day, 30 in the morning, 30 in the evening before i stopped) but i do not know about the gym. I used to go, but i just feel so silly there, i cannot lift a thing. Also i do not like going on my own but my mates who go can lift about 3 or 4 times more than me:rolleyes:

I am going to try and go through the day without snacking today though, only eating at meal times. Is should be easier during these easter holidays as i am getting up later.

I will also try posting in the sports forum. Thanks

:)
  • Options
    There's no way to change how you look really so try to be happy with what you got and make the most of it. Some people aren't so lucky.

Situps won't do anything unless you have any anything there to tone up and they won't make you loose weight either so their pointless unless you have mustle on your your tum.

You say you feel silly because you can't lift anything at the gym? Gym's aren't just for body builders. If you start the gym then you would wanna go the tred mill, running machine, etc. Weights are to gain mustle, but before you gain mustle from weights you wanna to get fit before starting them other wise you will do your body harm.

Also do some swimming.
  • Options
    sit ups, crunches are better sit ups are bad for your back. Press ups, light weights it doesn't matter just do loads of reps.
  • Options
    Exercise at home if you don't want to go to the gym.

Eat more meals.

Use diet supplements in addition to your normal meals.

If you do press ups or pull ups which should be easy for you with your weight then you will gain strength and wont feel as bad at the gym. To be fair though noone cares about other people down the gym.
  • Options
    Crossfire is right about crunches being better than sit ups. They just do your back in, and are harder, and don't give any more bennefit, especially if your aim is to strengthen and build muscles on your stomach.
    From what I've read, repetitions are for toning and stamina, but weight is the key to muscle building.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Exercise at home if you don't want to go to the gym.

Eat more meals.
    Yeah, you don't need to go to the gym, and you don't need to spend a fortune on weights either.

As for the meals, it's reccomended that you eat more smaller meals throughout the day, and eat a little more protien, and less fat. That's if you're building muscles.
    At least, that's the theory. I've yet to get the knack of putting it into practice. :)
  • Options
    I`ve posted this link before, and I don`t know if this is the kind of thing you want, but here you go anyway. Please note... there is more than enough information here to find out what you need to do. You do NOT need to buy his book or anything! And it works.

http://www.musclegaintips.com/
  • Options
    (Not that I`m saying you should become the Incredible Hulk or anything.... obviously you take it to the extent you want to - but the basic principles are there.)
  • Options
    when your training 5 small/medium meals a day are better than 3 big.
  • Options
    Well I have stopped snacking so muc, which is good. I shall attempt to head all this advice and start something tomorrow :)

And press ups? My arms are too weak to hold up my body :(

Thanks though x
  • Options
    at first you can do press ups while sort of kneeling until you good enough.
  • Options
    Just wondering if you think that being really skinny makes you an unattractive person or something? As you compare your body to your friends. Im pretty slim but pretty small too. 5" an 6 an a half stone. Also everyone has different bodies and not all people will attracted to the same look. I wouldn't worry too much about being really slim. Some people would love to be slim.
    Like some people have said it may be your mind playing tricks on you that you have a tummy. I mean is it really that big? I would say don't get too raped up in it. It may just pass.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    And press ups? My arms are too weak to hold up my body :(
    It's easier if you do press ups with your knees on the floor (may need some padding though). Or you could use a chair/table/worktop to raise you up, and therefore need less strength (until you build some up). Or you could lean against the wall, and do press ups against the wall (very easy). There's no need to rush in with full blown press ups - you'll just make your arms ache for days, and that'll put you off doing them again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by angel1886
    Just wondering if you think that being really skinny makes you an unattractive person or something? As you compare your body to your friends. Im pretty slim but pretty small too. 5" an 6 an a half stone. Also everyone has different bodies and not all people will attracted to the same look. I wouldn't worry too much about being really slim. Some people would love to be slim.
    Like some people have said it may be your mind playing tricks on you that you have a tummy. I mean is it really that big? I would say don't get too raped up in it. It may just pass.

This post is pretty true. It's not *really* your body that needs to change, it's your mind. If you're not happy with yourself now, then altering your physical form will only do so much.
  • Options
    Everybody is different, and everyone has different ways of viewing their bodies.
    To be honest with you, you are not getting a tummy unless you manage to hide it v well... compared to some of the guys in the group, yes you are slim, but you are in proportion to your height, some of the others have kinda too much muscle to their height and it looks daft...
    If you really wana change how you look, take things slowly, try not to chamge too much too fast. Take it one step at a time.
    Try doing wall presses, box presses and slowly building it up to proper press ups. There's several other exercises that are good but i can't remember them right now...