Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eczema

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey
well, basically ive had eczema all my life+its always been quite well controlled, but recently its got so much worse. ive been to the doctors 2day, and he's given me a cream for my face - bcos its bloated and purply/red and blotchy. also, another cream, as the bit of skin below your nose, but above my top lip, is infected. and some stuff to put in the bath. he has referred me to a dermatologist+im just wondering if anybody on here has been to one??? what are they like?? does it do any good??
im sure something must trigger this off - i already know food colourings (like E numbers in skittles) and sugar affect me.
its getting so bad, ive got constant dry,red skin near my nose+i must have had 20 different creams to clear it up. also, my eyelids get quite dry+i dont wear any make-up bcos of this. my skin around my eyes+nose, and sometimes my forehead, is really dry and flakey, its gross!!
i spose i just had to have this rant, as its making me feel so ugly. im constantly having to avoid itching my face+neck, but its so hard. i always moisturise, but its stopped working now. gggrrr :mad:
sympathy please :(

Comments

• Options
    I got some cracking stuff called Double Base the last time I went to the docs...its like really really potent moisturiser and works a treat, although my eczema doesn't sound as extreme as yours though
  • Options
    yeah, ive got that and it is quite good. the only trouble is i have to use it every morning and night, to stop my skin from drying out in the first place, and now its a little less effective. eczema stinks :(
  • Options
    Going to a Dermatologists isn't scary, they just stuck things to my back to see what I was allergic too.

I've had eczema most of my life and it sucks. Nothing the doctors give seem to get rid of it, they just stop it itching for a while. Do you have one of those Chinese Medicine places near you? I went to one about a year ago with eczema that just wouldn't go no matter what the doctor gave me. The Chinese doctors gave me some pills - I had to take about 10 different pills 3 times a day and after a week my eczema had totally dissappeared and it hasn't come back since! It cost about £80 for the pills but personally I'd pay any amount to get rid of it! Worth a try if nothing else works.
  • Options
    I have to agree. I went through a phase of it being bad, but not as bad as you SPG :( It is really a horrible thing to try and deal with. I used oilatum int he bath and the soap bar in the shower and it helped a bit. Have you tried any natural stuff, like from Lush or someplace? Getting a skin test will help determine what the problem is. For me, it's chocolate, but I found that out for myself. Also dust mites as well, so if you don't hoover your room regularly that might be one reason as well. I hoipe you get it sorted soon, I know how bad it can be :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    For me, it's chocolate, but I found that out for myself. Also dust mites as well, so if you don't hoover your room regularly that might be one reason as well. I hoipe you get it sorted soon, I know how bad it can be :(

Mine used to be chocolate, cheese and oranges....I still get it occasionaly from orange juice but not the others, mainly mine's just dust now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Mine used to be chocolate, cheese and oranges....I still get it occasionaly from orange juice but not the others, mainly mine's just dust now.

yeah, mine that i know about are:
    *caffine (dont drink tea or coffee, so mostly just coca cola)
    *sugar
    *flavourings (blue-raspberry drinks are the worst)
    *milk and yoghurts

i am allergic to dust mites, but ive been staying at my b/f's for the last few months, and his mum hovers his bedroom every single day (she's a big cleaning fanatic)

faith - can you remember the names of any of these pills by chance??

also, thekingofglasgow, i have had oilatum - but it reacted badly with me. the doctor said its cultured (or summat like that) on nuts, and im allergic to them. gggrr :mad:
  • Options
    Ohh, that's not good. Is there any other emoliants you could try? When is your appointment with the dermatologist anyway?
  • Options
    Originally posted by spongebobsgirl
    faith - can you remember the names of any of these pills by chance??

You have to go to the chinese place for a consultation and they make up the pills to suit you, there's quite a few different types of eczema so they'll give you a combination for whatever type you have....much better than our doctors who just give everyone the same steroid creams no matter what :rolleyes:
  • Options
    yea that fucibet shit they gave me is crap, it made the areas affected go away alright but the itching stays so no success there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    You have to go to the chinese place for a consultation and they make up the pills to suit you, there's quite a few different types of eczema so they'll give you a combination for whatever type you have....much better than our doctors who just give everyone the same steroid creams no matter what :rolleyes:

wow, that sounds so good. dunno when my appointment is yet, the hospital will send me a letter (prob in a week or so). if it doesn't work, il go straight to one of those chinese places, id be willing to pay any amount. and yeah, ive noticed that all they give you are creams that all smell the same - i think they just put a different label on the tube, lol :)
  • Options
    I remembered a few other things that worked for me...Sulphur tablets from Boots stop the itching quite well, they're in the homeopathy bit in blue & green tubes. Also in the health food shops they have a cream specially for eczema, it's quite gross and really sticky...it reminded me of peanut butter lol but works well! I can't remember what it's called but I'm sure if you were to ask they'd find it for you.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted because I know how horrible it is to put up with! PM me if you want any more details on anything. :)
  • Options
    what ever you do DON'T USE STERIOD CREAMS they thin the skin and only clear it up for a short time. cutting things out of you diet may be something to try, as well as cutting down stressful things, or avoiding those situations. try and go for natural things like :

hemp cream from the body shop-not great for everyone but try some at the shop.

dream wash/ dream cream from Lush, i swear by this stuff, my skin is 100% better from using it

tea tree stuff from some austrailian company, who's name i can't remember, that was very good as well.

for me i needed to cut down on loads of stuff, but in the end of the day that ment i couldn't eat much at all so i said stuff that and just got myself the lush stuff.

see if you have a peanut allergy because asthma, eczema, and the allergy are some how linked...

Luby
  • Options
    Originally posted by luby
    what ever you do DON'T USE STERIOD CREAM
    I'm sorry but don't be so stupid! Yes there are other things to try but steroid creams aren't that bad....they wouldn't be prescribed if they were so don't scare people by saying that! They do thin your skin slightly but it's not that major, I've used them for about 20years and my skin's fine.
    Originally posted by luby
    see if you have a peanut allergy because asthma, eczema, and the allergy are some how linked...

Asthma isn't linked to peanut allergies, it's eczema. But that's only because there was a steroid cream in the 80s that had traces of peanut in it so it's thought it may have caused peanut allergies in some people that used it. The chances of it are very slim though.