Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Manchester council plans to set up school in Bangladesh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,5500,1189407,00.html

Now I'm all for travel as part of a childs education and cultural awareness. But this is going about it the wrong way as it would surely encourage such trips more frequently and for longer.

I went to a very multi-cultural primary school and quite a few kids including my family went back to their parents birthplaces for extended holidays. The school provided you with work to take and would lend you the text books so you didnt fall behind. Any parent interested in making sure their child didn't get left behind would ensure they did the work or would get extra tuition for them on their return.

This was in the late 70s, now we have the added advantage of the internet. I regularly read educational papers and research notes from British and American universities online and think it pretty easy for anyone abroad to communicate with their school if they wanted to, so why go to the expense of setting up a school there?

The BNP and the Tories must be punching the air when things like this are proposed by Labour councils, it would be interesting to find out whether they bothered to consult the Asian community before announcing. Experience makes me doubt it.

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately the Bangladeshi definition of "extended holiday" appears to be six months. It was the in the Education Guardian about two months ago about schools in Keighley that lose their pupils for six months or more, and they never catch up because any English they learn they lose through non-use.

It's a very cynical idea, and it won't work. "Extended holiday", if the school doesn't accept it, shows up as unauthorised absence- and that is one of the things OFSTED mark a school down on. So a school has to accept it. And, to be quite honest, if a parent doesn't see the value of education in this country then they aren't going to see the value of education in another country, so the whole idea is pointless. Especially when a lot of older children go off to "see relatives" in order to have arranged marriages forced on them, in order to bring the new family back to the UK too.

I doubt the Bangladeshi community were asked, I really do. But I doubt it's relevant.
  • Options
    It does seem daft.
  • Options
    Taking your child away from school for more than a few days at a time is irresponsible.
    Making a new school for those people in another country is pandering to their desires and wasting our money.

School is there to be attended, if you want to see the results of little or no education goto a travellers encampment.