Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vitamin B6 and B12.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a quick question, realised today that I've been taking in way more than the RDA of these vitamins over the last few days due to these dodgy cheapo energy drinks.

They said on the back that 100ml contains 100% and 200% of the RDA of the vitamins B6 and B12 respectively. I drank a litre of the stuff today, so 1000% and 2000% of the RDA, about 500ml yesterday, the day before, etc etc.

Just wondered does sustained over-intake of these vitamins have any detrimental effects or are they fine?

Comments

• Options
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/vitamins_which.htm

Little fact sheet you might not find useful. Experiencing any weird symptoms?

**Edited to add, B12 shouldn't be a problem as it dissolves in water - or something like that.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    B6:
    There are no known toxic effects, however, doses in very large amounts taken for a prolonged time can cause nerve damage. 2000-6000 mg/day of vitamin B6 can create serious side effects like impairment of sensory nerves including burning sensations, pain in limbs, numb skin, clumsiness and loss of balance.

B12 seems fine.

Source: http://nutritionfocus.com
  • Options
    No one likes a smartarse.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Capacity
    No one likes a smartarse.

Do they not? The 5000 women I had sex with last month didn't think so :p
  • Options
    Both are water soluble and not stored in the body so like Vitamin C they are nigh on impossible to OD on.

I for example take a B complex of vitamins each morning which has 1mg of B12, some 16,666% of my RDA in it, and I'm fine.