Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Self-harm and injections

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya

I'm going to India in July so I need some injections and have been advised to have them over the Easter holidays. I assume they will go in my upper arms, but I'm worried because I have cut myself there in the past. For now, I have stopped so it should be OK. I will obviously try not to cut myself there until I've had the injections. But if I forget and end up with open wounds there beforehand, will the nurse say anything? Will it stop her giving me the injection?

Cheers,
Picc
x

Comments

• Options
    I've donated blood after cutting myself before, it shouldn't be a problem.

Besides which, a few of the inoculations are delivered into the buttocks, and the polio inoculation is taken orally.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Besides which, a few of the inoculations are delivered into the buttocks, and the polio inoculation is taken orally.
    I was worried about that.... :eek2: I've had the polio one though, but I got a sugar cube 'cos I had to have it with small people at school. Hehe.
  • Options
    yeah, i had mine in my upper arm. but you will get to choose which arm you have them in, so if you've cut one, ask to have them in the other. if you're embarrassed about it just claim that you are right/left handed, so you want them in the arm you don't use as much. lie if necessary.

but they won't refuse to give you them. a self-harmer may be a problem, but a self-harmer with typhoid is an even bigger problem.

and which part of india are you going to?
  • Options
    I'm going to Ladakh, Jaipur, Jodhpur and Delhi. Most of the time we'll be sleeping in tents and on trains.
  • Options
    Hiya
    Not harming yourself really is the best option all round, but if you really are worried about not being able to resist the temptation, make an appointment with your GP now to discuss your concerns - or call NHS direct: Telephone: 0845 46 47
    Also, check out some of our content that may help you to resist the urges:

stopping self harm

Useful links and organisations that can help.

Good luck. And have a fab time in India!
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Most of the time we'll be sleeping...on trains.

In India? :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    In India? :lol:
    Yes... I know... apparently sleeping on the trains is the easy bit, it's relieving yourself that's the problem... I will leave it to your imagination but it's not pleasant.

And thanks, Hannah, I've checked out the links.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Yes... I know... apparently sleeping on the trains is the easy bit

word to the wise - take a cushion. and a battery operated fan.