Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

If..... the generations fall out

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
I dont know if anyone has been watching the BBC Two series If... but there is one tonight on the generation gap and the increase of the elderly proportion of the population. The series is a bit alarmist and sensationalist, predicting what may happen in worst case scenarios, but it is an interesting prediction of future trends nonetheless. Here is a link to the page on the BBC website about it, in case anyone is interested in watching.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally I think this is a bit alarmist! I believe that the generation gap is actually getting smaller.
    Yes so kids do rebel against their parents, it's a normal thing, but I think that many parents and people
    Over 40 are actually a lot younger in their outlook that past generations.

This series is struggling to find things to talk about and they have picked a wrong-un here.
    The media in general seems intent on driving a wedge between generations and fails to realise
    That age is only a number and just because our bodies move faster than our age it doesn't mean
    That 'Old' people are not aware of the same things the 'kids' are!

But then I would say that!!

However I do think there is a wider problem in that people no longer want to do the un-glamorous jobs that involve caring for people who need care, so there will be a shortfall and that will effect those in need whatever age they are.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

However I do think there is a wider problem in that people no longer want to do the un-glamorous jobs that involve caring for people who need care, so there will be a shortfall and that will effect those in need whatever age they are.

i have noticed very recently, at least in the people i spend time with, that they are starting to get a bit disillusioned with all the fast car, fast life, big bucks kind of lifestyle, and are turning back towards wanting to make a difference to real people.

so you never know, we may well have a generation of carers on our hands.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    They are a bit alarmist byny, but evern though they are a mixture of fact and fiction, they are based on research and expert opinions, and indicate some of the key issues and trends that may shape our future. There is more about how they were put together here
  • Options
    Oh I understand that they have researched it...I just think the age thing in particular is something that generally the media has a hand in effecting.

For example there is currently a drive in the BBC to target the under 25 agegroup with certain programming. But I feel, at 33, that broadcasters set these benchmarks without really understanding that there are huge changes out there that mean 25 - 40 year olds actually feel more like they are in their twenties.

The old rules that the 'old' are devoid of fashion sense, taste or an interest in whats happening in 'youth' culture are wrong.
  • Options
    Well something has to be done about all the pensioners thats for sure, the state can not afford to pay for them. Yet because they out vote any other group no one in politics will ignore their demands even if they will bankcrupt the country.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Well something has to be done about all the pensioners thats for sure, the state can not afford to pay for them. Yet because they out vote any other group no one in politics will ignore their demands even if they will bankcrupt the country.

The pension they receive isn't very good anyway, but the council (in my experience) tend to prioritise their needs over the needs of others so at least they're safe in their houses as they can't defend themselves as much.

But I mean... what can you do? Not pay them their pensions? Cut it? Create a real life version of Logan's Run where everybody is killed off at a certain age? :p

I agree, with so many young people going to university with the hope of getting high paid jobs instead of lower paid jobs working with say... the elderly or people with disabilities. Maybe there are too many choices? Maybe too many people are brainwashed with the idea that if they go to university they will walk straight in to a high paid job?
  • Options
    Well National Insurance has never worked on the basis of individuals pension.

You give the money to the government and they give it to others, they dont keep it for your old age.

So, as more pensioners start to get a pension, and there are percentage wise less workers to pay for them the answers become obvious.

A) Pay them less.

B) Tax workers higher to pay them the same.

Niether options are very good. But luckily this coming generation are eating so badly they wont live long enough for it to be a concern.

My suggestion would be to scrap the whole idea of NI, its been a farce for years and to leave for more of it in the hands of the individual. If you have the opportunity to save and dont, well its your fault isnt it. Obviously though there should be some sort of safety net.
  • Options

Niether options are very good. But luckily this coming generation are eating so badly they wont live long enough for it to be a concern.

Aye, can't say I believe this generation will live to a massive age. Not with our diet, excercise... we are a generation of internet junkies and couch potatoes (meself included) and we're getting fatter and fatter. So maybe we won't live as long...

As for the affluent, maybe we should tax the rich more? After all a lot of these pensioners fought in the war and stuff, even if they do take ages in the shopping que in tescos pulling pennies outta their purse, they've already played a part to society.
  • Options
    Well if they've played their part let them leave the stage.

I'm not a great fan of the idea of a higher tax bracket for the richest people, not because I really feel they will move elsewhere, although some might. But because what would be much more effective and fair would be just an extra 1% on each of the brackets. Whether that extra money should be spent on pensioners though is another matter.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

I agree, with so many young people going to university with the hope of getting high paid jobs instead of lower paid jobs working with say... the elderly or people with disabilities. Maybe there are too many choices? Maybe too many people are brainwashed with the idea that if they go to university they will walk straight in to a high paid job?

Unfortunately I don't think its the university goers we have to worry about, many people with a degree end up doing jobs they never thought they would have to (teaching, nursing, working in benefit offices) because a degree really doesn't mean much these days.

Its the kids who decide they want to be famous and know they can rely on the state to pay their rent etc while they make a half arsed attempt to audition for Big brother that are the problem!!!!!
  • Options
    If there is a generational war, the deadweight will go.

And that means all the old duffers getting in my way, whingeing about this, that or the other. Always moaning and complaining, and driving at 20mph on a sodding trunk road. There's too many old people as it is, the more I think about it the more I agree with the principle in Logan's Run, except the cut-off should be five years over my age. Obviously:p
  • Options
    Old peeps don't like us young 'uns. Meh. I don't even think my nan likes me....

Old men are a bit pervy. Old women are either really friendly or secret witches (yes, all bald with no toes!)

Nomi
    XxxXxxX
  • Options
    A lot of old people annoy me too, like when they just sit there breathing loudly drooling all over themselves. But a lot are sound. It's just that some can be really rude... which admittedly is amusing, but there seems to be an idea over here that you have to worship them completely.

Old men are a bit pervy. Old women are either really friendly or secret witches (yes, all bald with no toes!)

Nothing wrong with witches m'dear ;)

I work behind a bar and see a lot of pervy old men. They smell of feet and look down yer top through coke bottle glasses whilst drinking their bitter.

I think in town we should separate pedestrianised areas, one side for old people to walk real slow and another for young people so we don't have to be stuck behind them when we shop :lol:
  • Options
    What's this great mass of people coming over the Channel?
    Is it a wave of suicide bombers?
    Has Germany invaded France again?
    No. It's Illegal immigrants coming to the rescue. Providing us with tax paying labour and a new generation of babies. If they can be encouraged to fill vacancies that is.
  • Options
    You only have to look at property prices. At this rate it won't be long before younger buyers are just priced out of the market and with the population heading towards 40% pensioners all the wealth is going to be held by that older 40%. So naturally all of us young'uns will be forced to take up arms and kill every pensioner and take their houses and their cats.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Indeed. But we still need to be wise with regards to the economy, balancing what we need with a sustainable workforce whilst bearing in mind the impact we are having upon the planet which is the sustainer of life.
    What goes up must come down, but we are in a position to slowly change the system over time in order to prevent it crashing or changing too rapidly. Chaos is a tricky thing to predict and manipulate into form, thankfully there are some of us who have an eye for it.
    At a glance one thing I would say needs to happen is a bringing together of the family unit and a greater sense of community, this will stand us in good stead for the future. All life starts with the family, and this is a very important basis and foundation for all life.
    A falling appart would lead humanity into some dark places, some of which I have visited in foresight.
    J ...your not realy roy cropper are you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    So naturally all of us young'uns will be forced to take up arms and kill every pensioner and take their houses and their cats.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. I want a cat :crying:
  • Options
    Got my cat from the RSPCA, any of you kids wanna try and break in, I got gunz :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Got my cat from the RSPCA, any of you kids wanna try and break in, I got gunz :mad:

Oy mister, you got owt worf nicking like ? :lol:
  • Options
    i'm old! i'm doomed ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lucky_Day
    Oy mister, you got owt worf nicking like ? :lol:

Do you feel lucky, make my day, punk!

a pc, a collection of old school vinyl and a copy of 'Fly-Fishing by J.R. Hartley

oops almost forget a songsheet of the 'Blaydon Races' and a map of Biggs Market :p

;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    There's too many old people as it is, the more I think about it the more I agree with the principle in Logan's Run, except the cut-off should be five years over my age. Obviously:p

Hrm...
    I almost agree with it- but then they go off ranting about strict legal population controls. Scary stuff.From the 'Alright Jack thread

I find that odd that you lean towards the Logans Run idea and away from population control. At least encouraging women not to have children is different to killing people off at a certain age... isn't it? Well ya get what I mean.

I wouldn't say kill old people, but our taxes will indeed have to be raised and I know it sounds awful, but the health services are keeping some pensioners in a vegetable state, which is unfair on them because they can't do anything for themselves and unfair on us because we're paying for it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

keeping some pensioners in a vegetable state,
    thats progress for you. my aunty is eighty five and doesn't even know who i am ...very sad as i was always her favourite. her memory faculties are completely gone. from being a very dynamic woman and now seeing her kept alive with drugs is upsetting. whats the point?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    thats progress for you. my aunty is eighty five and doesn't even know who i am ...very sad as i was always her favourite. her memory faculties are completely gone. from being a very dynamic woman and now seeing her kept alive with drugs is upsetting. whats the point?

Aye, the government sometimes I feel have got their heads so far up their arses with political correctness and a good image that they forget basic human rights. Isn't there a right to happiness? Or freedom?

Then wouldn't it be good of them to just let the person rest in peace? If their mind is practically dead then why keep them going?
  • Options

A) Pay them less.

B) Tax workers higher to pay them the same.

C) Work until you are older

D) Continued economic immigration.

D) is happening already but C) will have to happen at some point.

The issue is also much wider than state pensions, the majority of pensions I beleive are private, the question is one of enough production occuring to finance the investment etc that pays pensions.....

My generation will have to work until we are 70 I reckon........
  • Options
    Moonrat; I can see your point about keeping people alive when they have serious health problems.

But, what you are suggesting strays into very dangerous territory, where do you draw the line and say, well, their not worth it anymore, lets kill them.

I think your right Mok, its not so much too many pensioners its more too few workers to pay for them.
  • Options
    When's that program on again?