Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

News International courts the Conservatives

I dont know how many of you know that the News International conferance is in Mexico soon and Michael Howard is going as a star guest.

Does this mean the Conservatives are really a viable threat now because Murdock is taking them seriously.

Or should all News International staff be hunted with rabid dogs?

Your choice.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's a free country, and Murdoch is free to choose who to vote for (if he is actually allowed to vote in the UK) and who to support. But I find it fascinating.

Major was dumped largely because the Conservatives were proposing to restrict media ownership to only one medium, and not cross-media ownership. Blair promised not to, thereby protectign Murdoch's interests, and whoa, he gets supported.

Blair is quite pro-European, that is quite a clear fact. The European Union has been proposing media controls banning cross-media ownership for several years, and Blair supports the EU generally. Rather more pertinently, the EU recently only allowed the current Premiership TV deal to stand if Sky sold several games to terrestrial broadcasters, and those games could be chosen by the terrestrial broadcaster- so no fobbing off with Bolton v Wolves or Middlesbrough v Southampton. This could really hurt Sky's profits, as the only reason most people have Sky is for the football.

Howard is a Eurosceptic. You do the math.
  • Options
    So is that a vote for the rabid dogs or the viable opposition? I should have made this a poll really.
  • Options
    I was thinking along the lines of, bring in all the staff from News International, then put them in holding pens, small wire cages would be perfect.

Then to keep the Lords happy and to pass the anti-fox-hunting bill we allow them a steady supply of the staff to hunt insted.

Obviously they would have to train different dogs, wolves maybe or pit bulls but the spirit would be the same.
  • Options
    It should also be pointed out that Murdoch likes to back a winner. He abandoned the Tories in 1997 like a rat abandons a sinking ship.

The 'It was the S*n wot won it' claim is the single biggest myth in the history of mankind IMO.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    It should also be pointed out that Murdoch likes to back a winner.

It's better than backing a loser. Especially if your only interest is yourself.

I wouldn't hunt every member of News International with rabid dogs- I would restrict it to the Murdoch clan, Rebekah Wade and her cunt of a husband, Richard Littledick and Shaun Custis.
  • Options
    Agreed. Proprietor and editors, and of course their start columnist Richard Littlecunt.
  • Options
  • Options
    'He is a little cunt'.

Isn't that an insult?
  • Options
  • Options
    Just a deviation of his surname 'Littlejohn'.

I thought it was quite appropriate myself. ;)
  • Options
    It's depressing that one Australian's opinion can hold such sway over the British political system. Not just depressing but downright disgraceful. Shame on Parliament.

Time for a singsong.

Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings,
    Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams,
    Blinded by me you can't see a thing,
    Just call my name 'cause I'll hear you scream,
    Master!
    Master!
    Just call my name 'cause I'll hear you scream.
    Master!
    Master!
  • Options
    Murdoch sided with New Labour in 1997 because he knew (as did every other rational person in the UK at the time!!!:lol:;) ) that the Tories were doomed to defeat. They were grossly unpopular.

Did the Sun help Major win in 1992?? To a certain extent perhaps, though I guess the electorate didn't approve of Kinnock's tax plans.

It concerns me though that the decisions of one man (who isn't even a British citizen) can greatly influence the destiny and choosing of a government in this country. It simply denotes in my mind, that most British people are sheep and cannot determine things for themselves. Why not form your own opinion instead of reading the Sun or Mirror for it?!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Just a deviation of his surname 'Littlejohn'.

I thought it was quite appropriate myself. ;)

Littleprick is much better.

a) is he is one and
    b) i almost certainly think he has one, given how bitter he is.
  • Options
    b) i almost certainly think he has one, given how bitter he is.

bitter , I don't think so

Not half as bitter as his detractors

I'll be bitter if that's where it gets you (big house, wealth, notoriety..)
  • Options
    Oh yes he's bitter. :D

"If only I could edit the Guardian for a day" is one of his most tragic and frequently uttered rants.

"Look at all those ridiculous Guardian Society public sector jobs!" he cries with an alarming regularity.

"The Wicked Witch" he calls Cherie Blair every single time he talks about her (constantly).

"The Left demonises my novel (sic)." he cries as the world laughs at his pitiful racist drivel masquerading as a literary work.

The man's so bitter they should name an ale after him. 'I'll have a pint of Littlejohns please'. Yes, I like the sound of that.
  • Options
    see above
  • Options
    I'm glad you have conceded gracefully. :D