Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

horrible horrible skin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, I've had spots on my chin and forehead since, like, the beginning of puberty as I have T-zone skin. But they aren't leaving. When I go to the doctor I get gel stuff to put on and that makes my skin dry and painful. Now I've suddenly got spots on my cheeks too but I don't know if they are actual spots, or a rash, as my mam has acne rosacea and has a rash over her cheeks. So I'm going to go to the doctor about that. Plus, I've got cuts and dry skin at the corners of my mouth. Basically, my whole face is in a terrible condition and I don't know what to do about it. Using cleansers, witch hazel and skin creams doesn't seem to be doing much. I'm attempting to drink more but... :( Can anyone give me any tips on getting rid of the spots, at least? Because the general state is getting me down. I mean, I can cover the redness etc up with make-up but in the long run that isn't going to help.

Comments

• Options
    it might be worth going back to your doctor and asking to be referred to a dermatologist.

my mum has always had bad skin, and the doctor just used to give her antibiotics and harsh creams, which made it worse. and then she went to see a dermatologist, and they knew exactly what to do.

also this site has a lot of useful info.
  • Options
    i wasnt sure whether you were complaining about acne or the dry skin so i'll answer both:

Dry skin: make sure you wear sunblock when you go out because i know from my experience that when you have spots and you use creams your skin not only goes dry but really sensitive which causes the redness.

acne: i have terrible skin and i've tried everything, first off make sure you've tried panoxyl cream...which usually clears acne up, dunno if its available over the counter in england but talk to your doctor

if that doesnt work then try something like zineryt (this burns skin like hell but is really good) not available over the counter in england so would be best to go see your GP

then you could try retin-a cream...dries your skin out and makes it really sensitive...you'll need to use a sunblock with this one.

if you've tried that then i'd say try antibiotics although they did nothing for me...but work with alot of people and they dont dry out your skin...however are usually perscibed with a cream.

if you've tried that and its not worked then i would say go for roacatane (?sp) i say this is a last resort as it dries your skin lips and eyes out terribly so you'll need to invest in a oil-free sunblock, the best lipbalm you can get hold of (which i find to be carmex) and if you already suffer from dry eyes then some lubricating drops.
    you cant take roacatane if you may get pregnant as it will seriously deform the baby. some people also cant take this as it affects their kidneys/liver (cant remember which one) so you need monthly blood tests and can lead to difficulties getting pregnant in extreme cases...not available over the counter in any circumstances but if your desperate then go for this...comes in pill form and treatment can last up to 9months.

hope i've helped
  • Options
    ohh poor thing, i'm alergic to soooooooooo many cleansers and stuff, and i sugest Lush, because all there stuff is pretty natural and they sometimes let you try a little before you buy if you say that you sometimes have adverse reactions.

give it a try

and go see a dermo BUT do not take any steroids because they damage the skin more not less and they can make it thinner

Luby
  • Options
    did you know that you can get spots through dry skin? i think you're using too much stuff on your face, it's really not good for it! the alcohol in the facewashes dries you up.

use a good moisturiser (vaseline intensive care moisturiser is good) and lay off the facewashes, perhaps just using a gentle one with no alcohol every couple of days. thats what i do, i mainly just use warm water followed by cold water and a flannel.

also the doc might put you on the contraceptive pill that is specifically designed for bad skin. dianette cleared my skin up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    also the doc might put you on the contraceptive pill that is specifically designed for bad skin. dianette cleared my skin up.

That's what the doc did for me, he put me on Marvelon, and i am starting to see an improvement, but it does take time
  • Options
    same here...I was put on the pill for bad skin and it cleared up brilliantly. It seemed to get worse for a month or too and then it just cleared up completely.

My friend was put on anti-biotics for her skin and I was amazed by the results. Her face was really bad...the kind of spots that you can't cover with make up and were really sore for her to even lightly touch. So maybe anti-biotics is something to talk to your doctor about.

As for washing your skin and usuing lots of products on itI agree with the others. It's probably not helping, you'll be drying your skin out even more if you use lots of products contained alcohol.

Good luck with going to see the doctor
  • Options
    Thanks for your tips, guys. I don't really want to change my pill because me and Microgynon 50 are getting on well :) I'm not sure if the doc would give me antibiotics as they're usually for the really sore nasty type of acne, and I don't think this really is acne any more as much as just poorly skin lol... damaged from picking spots in the past and stuff. I've seen friends with really, really bad acne and scarring taking tablets for them and now they have perfect skin :-/ lucky them! I think I'm going to take your advice, Lipsy; and just use water, plus a moisturiser and Savlon for the cracks on my mouth, but I'll go to the site Kaffrin suggested too. I've been using a facial scrub but I think I might dispose of that for a few weeks too; s'pose it might be agitating my skin or something.
  • Options
    I agree with you about not using facial scrub at the moment. Some of them seem to do more damage to your face than good with the horrible lil bits in them lol

Again good luck!
  • Options
    Ditto; I had that gel too - the lowest possible concentration of Benzoyl Peroxide and it was still too painful for me. I'm gonna leave it for a while and if the ones on my cheeks don't clear up I'll go to the doc's as I'm worried in case I have the same as my mam.
  • Options
    Re: horrible horrible skin
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    Plus, I've got cuts and dry skin at the corners of my mouth. Basically, my whole face is in a terrible condition and I don't know what to do about it. .

I have the same problem, usually occurs when im ill or run down - you can get a cream that you apply from the doctors. iv used it and it works, i know how uncomfortable these cuts can be. sorry can't remember what it is called, but ask your doctor. it could be genetic also, my mum gets the same thing i do
  • Options
    i go through stages where my skin goes really dry but greasy in places and i only get spots on my chin. I get rashes when im going through a bad stage and my face feels really tight and horrible. I find that the best thing to do is not wear makeup like foundation or powder and to keep your face clean but not irritate it by using a creamy cleanser like simple. And i moisturise my cheeks and dry bits with simple moisturisers. Doing this seems to calm it down abit.
    I also get the corner cracked bits and they are really sore i put vaseline on them to lock in moisture and they heal within a few days
    So yeh just some suggestions that may help...
  • Options
    Hello, I know this post was like a while back but I have an alternative suggestion which is similar in the sense of creams, lotions etc but, it has helped me. My skin started getting really bad when I started college, spots and red blotchy sensitive skin and I suffer with dry skin as well so I know what a pain in the ass it is. I work in a department store, at the cosmetics/fragrance counters, and so learnt a few new things! I now own a whole host of Clinique things. Now the products are produced and tested by dermatologists, and they have a whole host of ways of combating spots and helping them to go altogether! If you go in to your nearest boots or Debenhams store, you will meet the loveliest people ever! They've designed a 3 step system- it's literally a bar of soap specially made up with certain skin types in mind, they'll tell you your skin type once they've assessed your skin. Then an exfoliater, which in my case helps remove excess dirty as well as well as removes dead skin cells i.e.dry skin which can clog up your pores further and can lead to more spots. They then have a moisturiser. The soap is heaven! It's so strange when you first try it because your amazed at how filthy your skin is!! But you use the soap and you feel clean but not tight skinned- lovely! It's a twice a day system! Don't go for exfoliater number two- it has menthol in it. Similarly does witch hazel which has a drying effect also (I know, I've tried countless solutions) now on top of that they have different spot combating shields- the one I use has little skin drying and can be worn without any idea its there under make up. Even the make up you buy can help combat spots- I use a powder compact by Clinique- great converage, lightweight, comfortable etc...and during the day it is not sinking into your pores and its also designed with things in it to clear spots, and by the end of the day, it does show!
    Now they do have a price to them, but instead of splashing out and buying, they do little packs for you to take home and test for a week or so to see how you feel- they have tons of testers so don't be afraid to ask for them and about them, they are there to help you if you do decide to check em out!

Anyway, I'm a big fan of clinique so that's why I'm bigging them up- have a look also on their website clinique.co.uk and last thing, when you wear make up, ensure you do fully remove it - it's surprising how much you leave on and clog spot heaven!!

Hope this helps!!
    Malt Monk xx
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    did you know that you can get spots through dry skin? i think you're using too much stuff on your face, it's really not good for it! the alcohol in the facewashes dries you up.

:yes:

Do a search on this site for the words Honey and Zinc - cos I've posted about them enough times now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    :yes:

Do a search on this site for the words Honey and Zinc - cos I've posted about them enough times now.

I read your posts about honey a while ago... but I sleep on my front so I don't think that would work out lol, sadly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    I read your posts about honey a while ago... but I sleep on my front so I don't think that would work out lol, sadly.

You don't have to sleep in it, I'm sure you spend a few hour a day watching Tv or on the PC or something at home, where you could use it and it wouldn't rub off.
  • Options
    Oh, okey doke. The posts I read were about sleeping in it. Might try that then!