Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A really stupid question..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Before they invented tampons and sanitary towels, what did women do to contain their period???

I'm silly, I know!!:o

Comments

• Options
    Cloth sanitary pads that were washed. You can still get them and a lot of people prefer them apparently. More eco friendly.
  • Options
    they were held up by a belt around the waist...

:yuck:

Sanitary towels freak me out, i couldnt have lived in a period (sorry) without tampons!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    they were held up by a belt around the waist...

:yuck:

Sanitary towels freak me out, i couldnt have lived in a period (sorry) without tampons!
    that was more recent, I thought she meant pre-belted ones.
    I dont like sanitary towels either, because theyre uncomfortable, not because I think periods are gross or anything. I think its only natural and I think its weird how many women are grossed out by their periods. If I was going to use sanitary towels id even consider cloth ones probably, as I used to use cloth nappies on my little boy, so whats the difference?
  • Options
    Well both were pre-tampon age wernt they?

Either way i think its nasty, just doesnt feel right to me, i like to feel clean!
  • Options
    Well both were pre-tampon age wernt they?

Either way i think its nasty, just doesnt feel right to me, i like to feel clean!
    I know what you mean, I cant bear wearing towels, im glad weve got more choices these days.
  • Options
    :yes: definately.... the things we take for granted!
  • Options
    so, what about contraceptive measures back then?
    I heared that women somethimes put a small bag filled with peas in their vagina. but how did that help? :confused:
  • Options
    I really hate towels, i feel so disgusting in them :yuck:
    Tampons are my friend :yes: lol.

and :eek2: to the pea's thing!?
  • Options
    Originally posted by FLX
    I heared that women somethimes put a small bag filled with peas in their vagina. but how did that help? :confused:
    history of contraception
  • Options
    Originally posted by FLX

maybe they did it for fun:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by FLX

Heh, I think the condom isn't a recent invention.

They used to use condoms in Cromwell's time, I think!:cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    They used to use condoms in Cromwell's time, I think!:cool:

like using those kitchen rubber gloves? :D
  • Options
    from the History of Contraception:
    In Eastern Europe, half a lemon squeezed out served as a diaphragm, the citric acid acting as a spermicide.
    :eek:

they sure were creative back then...
  • Options
    You mean none of you like the sound of The Keeper?

One of my housemates last year swore by it...which was information I could ahve done without :yuck:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    You mean none of you like the sound of The Keeper?

One of my housemates last year swore by it...which was information I could ahve done without :yuck:
    ive actually got one - well something very similar!
    glad to know it grosses you out, its not something I really tell people about, but in my opinion works better and more reliable than tampons, saves a fortune, and is better for the environment, not to mention reduced risk of TSS.
    I wasnt gonna say anything in case i got dismissed as a mad hippy, but things like that are more popular and common than you might think. I dont see why its more disgusting or gross than a tampon??????
    the british version is called a mooncup by the way.
  • Options

same, towels feel bulky, the thinner ones just feel weird. I feel unclean with towels, tampons are 100x better!
  • Options
    i have never heard of (or seen)a mooncup. Do many people use them?? where do you get them??:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Scorpion
    i have never heard of (or seen)a mooncup. Do many people use them?? where do you get them??:confused:
    I dont know if many people use them, its not the sort of thing I ask random people about. I know you can only buy them online though
    mooncup
  • Options
    I have the lazy girl's alternative- I have a Depo-Provera jab every 3months- its a contraceptive but also prevents me from menstruating!
    It doesn't do anything bad cos of the stage at which it interrupts the hormonal cycle, and is proven to have no associated health risk. All you have to put up with is injections in your bum!
    Also, there's no more 'that time of the month' excuse for not being in the mood, cos there isn't any time of the month any more. Personally, I think its great.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Freyja
    I have the lazy girl's alternative- I have a Depo-Provera jab every 3months- its a contraceptive but also prevents me from menstruating!
    It doesn't do anything bad cos of the stage at which it interrupts the hormonal cycle, and is proven to have no associated health risk. All you have to put up with is injections in your bum!
    Also, there's no more 'that time of the month' excuse for not being in the mood, cos there isn't any time of the month any more. Personally, I think its great.
    well there might not be the time of the month excuse for being in the mood, but the depression, mood swings and complete loss of libido is probably worse to bear than having a period. It completely fucked me up for the whole time i was on it, and i personally think they should ban it. its the contraception from hell and theres a hell of a lot of people whove suffered from fertility problems after coming off it too. I dont know why doctors say there arent side effects when all evidence points to the contrary.

just my humble opinion.