Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Visiting a doctor.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it possible to go to a different surgery than your usual. I go to a school that is nearer one which i wouldn't usually go to. Am i allowed to make an appointment here or not? Also to go to a clinic do you have to make an appointment?

Comments

• Options
    Go in and ask cos different places have different polices about joining.
    And some times
  • Options
    you will have to register with GP before you are able to see them. and you can't be registered to more than one GP at a time.

but clinics don't normally require that, so you should just be able to walk in and be seen.

check with the reception though, to be sure.
  • Options
    I used to think that you could go and see any doctor you wanted when you were over 18 (Or possibly 16) your legally allowed to change your doctor if you don't like the one your parents have chosen for you. If you are old enough and want to change doctors then you can definately do this.

However, many moons ago when I was back from uni for the summer and needed go to a doctor for TMAP (I didn't want to go to my parents one who has known me since I was born), I phoned up a local surgery only to be told that it would be unethical for me to go to see a doctor who wasn't my parents one. Thankfully after phoning round a couple of surgerys I finally found one who would take me.

Also I once got my boyfriend to book an appointment with for me with his doctor which worked quite well also.
  • Options
    Yeah, you can change doctors if you want. But you can't just go to whichever doctors you feel like on any particular day.

you have to register with a practice, whichever one you feel happiest with, although most have a catchment area, and if you live outside this, you will not be accepted, and then stay there. Your practice holds all your medical records, and unless it is an emergency, or you go to a clinic, you won't be seen without your records.

apart from if you do this :
    I think you can register as a visiting resident, so you'll still remain registered with your normal GP.
  • Options
    You can go to private ones now that are like £4 an appointment.

Has anyone been to the ones in France where they have like a price list? I find it really entertaining, like they'd have :

Colds- 20 Euros
    Broken bones- 80 Euros
    etc etc

The at the bottom of the lists it has:

Unknown:

150 Euros

That's really expensive!! You'd blatently go in and say you had a cold n let them decide if you were right or not.

Nomi *easily pleased*
    XxxXxxX
  • Options
    £4! Your having a laugh arent you, the ones I've seen advertised here in London are at least 30 quid a time.
  • Options
    Re: Visiting a doctor.
    Originally posted by angel1886
    Is it possible to go to a different surgery than your usual. I go to a school that is nearer one which i wouldn't usually go to. Am i allowed to make an appointment here or not? Also to go to a clinic do you have to make an appointment?

In some places they have NHS walk in centres where you don't usually need an appointment.

I don't think you can go to a surgery in which you're not registered.
  • Options
    What you do is register as a temporary patient if you're outside the catchment area for your usual surgery - so i live in Norwich at the moment, am registered with the university health centre, but if i got ill or something over the summer when i'm staying at home, i'll go into the surgery where i used to be registered and ask to be a temporary patient.