Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Solvent Abuse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's not often that I post in the drugs board. I like to think as my life as a little safe goody haven, away from 'bad things' like drugs and that underground culture (I have friends who smoke cannabis recreationally but thats not really the same I don't think). Of course, I don't ignore them, and can see that they're widely used and I don't hold it against people. But recently certain incedents have brought home to me how close it can be.

Someone very close to me has told me that they abused solvents. I told them it was very silly because most drugs, while having a variety of effects, none of them are as lethal as solvents. So the person told me that they were not going to do it again so I didn't have to worry.

About 20 minutes ago this persons friend came running in my room to get the person to stop because she was spraying aerosol down their throat. I went in there and she was acting normal and had a little talk to them and they said they might be addicted.

I did a qucik search on thesite but there arent that many resources for solvent abuse, other than highlighting how dangerous it is. Is it addictive? I'm so worried about this person, they've promised me that they're not going to do it again, and I beleive them; but what if they do? I can't control them!

Does anyone have experience with solvents? If anyone has ever stopped what motivated you to stop?

Thanks loads in advance, TheShyBoy

p.s if anyone has any more information that they think I should know feel free to PM me

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    This stuff will kill.

I've lost a mate to solvents and am now the godfather to his fatherless kiddy. :( It's the fact that it's unpredictable which makes it so lethal.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ive known a few people to have been using solvents.

I dont really have as much to give on this issue as others, and im sure youll get more info from other siters...

in 2001 there were 63 deaths associated with solvent abuse (in the majoprity of these deaths were caused from gas inhilation butane and so forth...

Tolerance does build up quickly in users, which increases the risks dramatically (which as you may have found on the net includes suffocation) I dont think there is any evidence of physical addiction, but thats not saying you cant be mentally addicted, you can, and your friend may well be mentally addicted which can be very hard to kick. If your friend does decide to try and kick the habit he may well get withdrawal symptoms, start craving it a lot more and so forth..

As skive said it really can kill, very quickly in effect a user is suffering himself. A person can die the first time they use it. 37% of deaths from solvent abusers a few years ago were first time users. Can result in mental problems and other health problems too.

Ive found, from those who have known solvent abusers, and with the solvent abusers ive known its a pre-teen and a teen thing, its a cheap high, its easily found and so forth users have abused solvents then as theyve got older moved on to other drugs unfortunately, but i guess its better than solvents in my eyes.

Find out if your friend wants to stop, is willing to try and stop, maybe he could do with councelling, or give him sites on the net that may bring it home to him what hes doing to his body. Talk to frank does have a service and iof he does want to help himself he could give them a call.....
  • Options
    Hey...I went through a stage a few months ago of doing solvent abuse. Its fucked up. I wasn't spraying into my throat, but sniffing them, i started get nose bleeds etc and i only stopped when i nearly got caught doing it at school. ok i still use poppers but only occasionally. You really need to talk to them about why they feel they need it. I did it for escapism, it basically fucks you up for a while, then gives you a stonking headache, but sometimes it makes you blackout too. Don't judge them for it, tell them to do something else everytime they want to do it. You've got me on msn if you want to anything else:) Kirsty xxx
  • Options
    Hey I've shown my friend this thread and they've got something to write:

Hey, i can see rich is really worried about me, and i do want to stop and am willing to try. Am i addicted? well, i get to a stage after abusing solvents for about ...5mins, i get a cold rush, which is very addictive, so basicially, i am. I told a small group of friends i do this, and they told me that a bubble forms in ur brain, if this bubble pops, i could die instantly, which scared me (obviously) .
    If anyone on this planet had asked me 6months ago if i wanted to try it, i would of said 'No!' strate the way, but in the last 6months my life has gon completely down hill and ive needed to turn to something.
    I would love to sit here and say, 'i realise now that i was very sily and will never do it again' but then i would be lyin, i Do no that its silly, and i Do no that it can kill you, but how ever much i promise, i dont no if i will go back to it, (its like cigerettes, you think it wont hurt if u have one more, and befor u know it, ur completely hooked agen!)
    I definately want to stop, and am going to try, lets jst hope within the next month, i can be sitting here, still alive, thankin u all.

(Anyone wondering about tryin it? STOP! Dont even think about it, its the worst thing in the world, it turns ur life upside down, trust me, ive bin there, more to the point, im there right now!)
    Thanks,
    *unknown*
  • Options
    TheSite article on risks etc

TheSite factsheet on effects of drug etc

Both also have contacts for you to find out more information.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Hey I've shown my friend this thread and they've got something to write:

Hey, i can see rich is really worried about me, and i do want to stop and am willing to try. Am i addicted? well, i get to a stage after abusing solvents for about ...5mins, i get a cold rush, which is very addictive, so basicially, i am. I told a small group of friends i do this, and they told me that a bubble forms in ur brain, if this bubble pops, i could die instantly, which scared me (obviously) .
    If anyone on this planet had asked me 6months ago if i wanted to try it, i would of said 'No!' strate the way, but in the last 6months my life has gon completely down hill and ive needed to turn to something.
    I would love to sit here and say, 'i realise now that i was very sily and will never do it again' but then i would be lyin, i Do no that its silly, and i Do no that it can kill you, but how ever much i promise, i dont no if i will go back to it, (its like cigerettes, you think it wont hurt if u have one more, and befor u know it, ur completely hooked agen!)
    I definately want to stop, and am going to try, lets jst hope within the next month, i can be sitting here, still alive, thankin u all.

(Anyone wondering about tryin it? STOP! Dont even think about it, its the worst thing in the world, it turns ur life upside down, trust me, ive bin there, more to the point, im there right now!)
    Thanks,
    *unknown*

Rich's mate...

It is going to be hard, but you want to stop and i think you realise that you have to stop. Thants a good thing, youve told friends about your situation and they will all be there to help you.

You say that you started after your life went downhill. Have you thought about counselling, not for the solvents but so you can talk to somebody un-biased, work things out for yourself. If you go to the doc they will set it up for you free. Because even if you do manage to kick the habit, there may still be the reason that you started in the first place waiting to kick you down again. Once that part of you that craves a release has gone, you wont feel like you need a release anymore.

Try work out something with your friends, a way to help you stop. I dont know what it could be, but im sure you and your friends may have a way ~ a nice way or a harsh way to help you stop.
  • Options
    Rich's mate..its good that you want to stop and are trying. i was basically put off by, as i said nearly getting caught doing it in school. The situation was this: I went into the toilets sniffed a load of lighter gas , then walked out and bumped into my head of 6th form who proceeded to have a conversation with me. My head was spinning, i look fucked i was so paranoid. I never want to put myself in that situation again. but as i said i still do poppers. keep your friends updated of your progress, they (hopefully) wont chastise you if you do it, as long as you're working on sorting the problemo :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Slovent Abuser
    I told a small group of friends i do this, and they told me that a bubble forms in ur brain, if this bubble pops, i could die instantly, which scared me (obviously)

I'm not sure about that!

It's a shit buzz anyway. If your going to do drugs do something more worthwhile - and less danagerous. Lugging gas gives you spots is really a sad thiing to do when there are other much better drugs. :D
    I still do poppers

Which are shit too - but at least they're safer.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive

Which are shit too - but at least they're safer.

very true. however due my mental health problems i stay away from harder stuff :)
  • Options
    why was this person spraying the stuff down their throat!?

you say you started cos your life has turned shit ...worst reason to do drugs of any kind. you have the full potential for addiction illness and death.
  • Options
    They truely are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to drug abuse, SOOO dangerous compared the the high.

I've done them myself as a teen and all I got was a feeling of being out of it for a while then getting a massive head ache.

This is really something to discuss with your GP.
  • Options
    its "friend" it may be a shit buzz, but like alcohole, it gets u out of reality wen i feel down n depressed, which is bad, bcoz i can feel down very easily, like now, i feel like turnin to solvents now i need something else to turn to, like some ppl use chocolate as a comfort, that doesnt work 4 me :(, write bk soon plz, xxx
  • Options
    Well hmmm maybe use alcohol instead? Way less dangerous, easier to control. I mean if you're life is in the shitter sometimes you do need to escape from reality. I find alcohol my drug of choice.
  • Options
    you cant jsut shift from a solvent addiction to an alcohol addiction, and if youre looking for an escape from reality when youre down, youre likely to become equally addicted to alcohol.

You really need to talk to as budda said a gp, or a counsellor but get help dont start getting drunk to escae instead. Thats just stupid. Ive used drugs as an escape before, and you should never do that.
  • Options
    If your trying to use drugs to solve problems in your life the chances are that you will make them a million times worse, especially if your using something like solvents.

GO to your GP, they will understand the situation, ask to be put forward for a risk assessment interview with a social worker. At this you sit down and chat about your life etc and your needs are assessed. I've had one and they are quite nice actually, its always nice to talk about yourself for an hour!