Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

home life

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi.
my relationshop with my mum has always been bad. Lately its got terrible. She's not mentally stable due to a number of things and living with her is exteremely difficult. My older brother moved away a few years ago to spain so its just me and her.
i dont think that I can deal with it any more, we have such horrible fights, with really nasty stuff said and my mum often makes fights physical.
So, i really really wana move out but im only 17 and have like nearly no funds cause im at college. There is no other family i can stay with.
Have i got any options? Is there any way i can escape from this?

Comments

• Options
    hmm there must be benefits of some sort that are available to you. I dunno how you would go about applying though. Maye you could phone up your local council or something?
  • Options
    if you go to your council and declere yourself homeless then the council are required to get you into some type of housing scheme. however im not sure of the requirements for this, i dont know if you can leve home and declere yourself homeless or if you have to be thrown out. if your mum collects child benifit for you then she will have to surender this before you can get any type of financial help. - not sure if this is the case but i know that this happened to a friend of a friend and so she was unable to claim benefit
  • Options
    Hi there call Shelterline who can help you work out your options. You may also want to talk through your situation with your mum,

Careline
    Telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults on any issue, including relationships, depression, mental health, child abuse, bullying, rape and sexual assault, domestic violence, addictions, stress etc.
    Telephone: 020 8875 0500

Or if things are really violent at home Refuge can help

Refuge- Domestic Violence Helpline
    Network of refuges for women and children escaping domestic violence.
    Helpline: 0990 995 443

Our factsheet on domestic violence

Take Care

Susie
  • Options
    thanks for all your help :)