Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Budget

A little over an hour to go now. What do you think is in stock for us?

Will we witness a massive increase in duty for alcohol, since we keep being told we are a nation of pissheads? Will Gordon dare to raise tax?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Does sound like a stabalising budget, Government again going for a huge defecit in spending, so more borrowing. I wouldn't be suprised if the government knocks up duties and probably income tax to soften the blow.

Have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Smokers are complaining already

"we already pay enough through all the cigs we buy"

oh yeah so you dont cost the NHS however many billion a year and lots of time that could be used to help people who deserve it:yeees:

I have no problems with this budget, then again i dont really do much:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Smokers are complaining already

"we already pay enough through all the cigs we buy"

oh yeah so you dont cost the NHS however many billion a year and lots of time that could be used to help people who deserve it:yeees:

Oh dear, if I had a pound for every time I'd heard that, I wouldn't be worried about taxation at all...

£10bn - the amount raised in taxes, per year, from tax on tobacco.

£1bn - the amount of cost to the NHS, per year, from smoking related conditions.

Spot the difference ;):p

As for "deserving" help, the smoker has contributed, by a tax on his actions, to the cost of his health care. There is no tax on sporting activity, yet the person who broke his leg playing football also get immediate health care... both injuries self inflicted...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Oh dear, if I had a pound for every time I'd heard that, I wouldn't be worried about taxation at all...

£10bn - the amount raised in taxes, per year, from tax on tobacco.

£1bn - the amount of cost to the NHS, per year, from smoking related conditions.

Spot the difference ;):p

As for "deserving" help, the smoker has contributed, by a tax on his actions, to the cost of his health care. There is no tax on sporting activity, yet the person who broke his leg playing football also get immediate health care... both injuries self inflicted...

what sort of sport injury is self inflicted? :confused: those japanese endurance shows? :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    what sort of sport injury is self inflicted? :confused: those japanese endurance shows? :p

Self inflicted in the sense that you chose to play a certain kind of sport to start with.
  • Options
  • Options
    Rises in fags are only going to increase smuggling and import of cigarettes for resale.

Hell, you can do the maths. A carton of Marlborough Lights will cost what? £48? In Spain they cost around £18. Perhaps next time I go there I'll bring back 7 or 8 cartons and sell them at £28. It'd pay for my fare. :D;)
  • Options

Self-inflicted as in "it's your fault!"

You take risks you face the consequences, simple as. :p
  • Options
    what sort of sport injury is self inflicted?

You could also ask how smoking related diseases are "self-inflicted" and I would give the same response.

Both put themselves at risk... both know the possible outcomes yet both still partake.

The minute we start denying healthcare on the basis of who "deserves" it, we start to rule out most of the conditions which the NHS treats. Any car related injury, weight related, most heart conditions, back injuries, knee complaints... the list just goes on and on.