Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Your chance to tell Parliament

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
We thought some of you may be interested in the following -
We wanted to invite you to take part in an innovative Parliamentary online consultation called: 'Connecting Parliament with the Public' which was launched on Monday 1 March 2004 at: www.tellparliament.net/modernisation

(NB-Anyone wishing to participate in the debate can register their details by clicking on the link above, selecting the 'register' tab and then they can post their comments in the forum)

The Hansard Society has been commissioned by the Modernisation Committee to run this consultation, lasting for 4 weeks, that will make recommendations on how Parliament can better connect with the public. It covers areas such as how Parliament can better reflect public concerns, and how Parliament could be made more accessible to citizens.

The committee are very keen to open this consultation to all members of the public and especially target those so called 'hard-to-reach groups' or unusual suspects.

To date we have over 130 registered users and 78 messages posted on the site, but we really want to open this consultation right out and widen the participation to as many people as possible- and there are still 2 weeks left to have your say!

So here is your chance express what you don't like about Parliament - and go easy on them.....................

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Like it'll do any good.
  • Options
    Well if you keep thinking that way, and throw up your hands and say why bother it won't make any difference, then no it wont do any good, in fact it will do absolutely sweet FA. If we all felt that way then absolutely nothing would change.

Don't complain that society is going to hell in a handbasket if you aren't prepared to at least try to change people's approach in a constructive way.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Don't complain that society is going to hell in a handbasket if you aren't prepared to at least try to change people's approach in a constructive way.

Applauds.

You are either part of the solution, or part of the problem.
  • Options
    Oh, you've got me wrong completely.

The reason why I think this site is a waste of time is because ever since Mr Blair got elected he has been working to his OWN agenda and not towards the best interests of us.

He has lied countless times, he has gone back on virtually all his election promises.
    He refuses to acknowledge this country is a democracy, so every time one of his stupid ideas gets thrown out by the house of lords he just over rules it anyway.

I don't trust him at all, which is why i believe this site to be a big, pointless PR exercise for the benefit of Mr Blair, so he can turn round and say "but I did ask the people".

Until he actually ACTS on one of his promises then he may as well quit now, which i believe he has also promised to do several times.
  • Options
    Well if you can be happy complaining and doing nothing and feel justified by saying Tony Blair is not worth giving your opinion to, then fine. I believe that sometimes it is possible to make the system work, and regardless of who is in power, there will always be a bureaucratic system that removes the people in power from those that elected them. So what if he is doing it for his own interest, if by default it makes the system more user friendly?
  • Options
    There isnt anything there I feel I can contribute to:
    • How could proceedings in Parliament be made easier to follow?
    • How easy is it to get information about Parliament?
    • Does Parliament adequately reflect the concerns of ordinary people?
    • How could the Palace of Westminster be made more visitor-friendly?

It sounds more like they're asking for advice on redecorating than anything else. But I'm not criticising it :p it's nice that they're asking the public what they want. Should be done a lot more often though (see Iraq War).
  • Options