Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Quittin smoking & losing weight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can I do both at the same time? as I heard quitting the fags makes you fat.

Comments

• Options
    My dad had tried to get off smoking alot of times and gained alot fo weight because he needed something to keep his mind off smoking.

If you look to other things to keep you busy besides eating ur craving off, youll be fine. im sure already know from smoking that it curbs your appetite so alot of the time, you arent hungry.
  • Options
    Its not the quitting that makes you fat - its the pigging out as an excuse to do somethng withyour hands. |Don't keep smoking just cos you think you'll get fat if you stop!! Smoking leads to horrible life threatening illness and a miserable old age.

In fact - giving up is easy, and the best thing you can do for your mind and body. You may even find that your metabolism changes which will make you thinner anyway!!
  • Options
    The others are right - the weight gain is usually a repurcussion of taking something away and feeling like you need to replace it. A lot of quitters replace the urges with food or alcohol which leads to weight gain, but over time this usually sorts itself and goes back to normal. Take a read of our smoking section which has factsheets on giving up.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Not necessarily....

Both my parents gave up smoking, neither of them used food nor alcohol as a substitute - They both gained weight.

Isn't it due to difference in metabolism from smoking to non smoking??

Ilora x