Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

augmentin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last thursday my doctor prescribed me augmentin because i had a horrible case of tonsillitis. Thing is, although my tonsillitis has cleared up, the drug is making me very itchy and sore down below. I know this is one of the side effects from taking augmentin but its driving me nuts and i dont know whether to stop taking it or to grin and bear it until wednesday when the course finishes. As im working all week im not gonna get the chance to get to my doctor so do any of you guys have any advice? has anyone else suffered this?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    taking antibiotics can give you thrush so its probably that. I used to get my doctor to prescribe me canestan at the same time if he ever prescribed me antibiotics,just to be on the safe side, as Its very very common. Its because the antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria, which upsets the natural balance in your vagina.
    Im not a doctor though, so if youre really worried, id phone up the surgery, either that or try canestan, and if that doesnt clear it up then consult the doctor.
  • Options
    Re: augmentin
    Originally posted by shazza
    Last thursday my doctor prescribed me augmentin because i had a horrible case of tonsillitis. Thing is, although my tonsillitis has cleared up, the drug is making me very itchy and sore down below. I know this is one of the side effects from taking augmentin but its driving me nuts and i dont know whether to stop taking it or to grin and bear it until wednesday when the course finishes. As im working all week im not gonna get the chance to get to my doctor so do any of you guys have any advice? has anyone else suffered this?

I had a similar exeperience, yes, to augmentin. Actually, I'm pretty well allergic to it. Had taken it for like the same reason or jsut for a cold or something and I had totally broke out in a rash. Kind of like a hives type rash thing. So, yeah I can relate and have had a similar experience.