Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pregnant!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Everyone,

Long time no talk I know!

Heres the thing - My girlfriend did a clearblue test today (it comes with two)

And it came positive- But at the back of my mind it's not sinking in and I'm waiting for the docs - Is the doctor definately more accurate?

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• Options
    Clearblue tests are supposed to be pretty darned accurate - the doctor will be able to do another test if she really wants but I thought that usually the doctors say the Clearblue ones are as reliable as the ones they use. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    how much did it cost (the test)?

sorry dont mean to barge in on your thread :p hehe.

congratulations are in order i guess though? :) :thumb:
  • Options
    I am led to believe that they dont give false positives, so i would say she IS pregnant.
    The doctor told me that the tests you buy now are as acurate as the ones they do.
    Is this good news?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    The doctor told me that the tests you buy now are as acurate as the ones they do.

that's what i've heard too.

when my brother's girlfriend got a positive on one, the doctor said they were so reliable he wasn't even going to bother testing her himself.

you sometimes get false negatives if you test too early, but i've never heard anyone who had a false positive.
  • Options
    doctor wont bother testing her again if a home test has come up positive. they are so reliable these days.
    When I told my dr that id done a positive home test, she said that was just as accurate as their tests, as they only look for the same hormone.
  • Options
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news but ...there was an article in the weekend papers about having to recall pregnancy testing kits as they have recently been found to be at fualt.
  • Options
    I had a false positive once, highly uncommon yes, but it just goes to show it can happen.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya,
    Firstly it is true that there has been a mix-up with the results of some pregnacy tests (see this article) BUT these tests are not available to the public for home testing.

It also seems to be true that doctors aren't necessarily testing people if they've already done a home test as they are so accurate (see this article). HOWEVER this is only if the test is used correctly in the first place.

It does sound like your girlfriend is planning on going to see her GP, which is exactly what she should be doing. But if you're in need of support or information then you can also go to your local family planning clinic and talk through and issues/feelings that are concerning you.

Hope this helps,
    CB
  • Options
    I don't know how much it cost.

OK she did 4 test, two clear blue came up positive, one tesco blue came up positive but the tesco pink came negative! I think she drank too much water beforehand though :(

Not really good knows, but I'm not going to abandon my responsibity.

Off to the docs now to find out whats what :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast

Good for you, your gf is going to need a lot of support from now on, just be there for her.
    let us know what happens.
  • Options
    I don't know how much it cost.

OK she did 4 test, two clear blue came up positive, one tesco blue came up positive but the tesco pink came negative! I think she drank too much water beforehand though :(

Tbh I think if she's done 3 tests you can believe the result :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Ye Me ex took one of those tests before and it was positive,
    then she tried again and it was negative- She ended up going the Docs and getting the all clear!

I was so relieved, things weren't going good at that stage as it was!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Tbh I think if she's done 3 tests you can believe the result :crazyeyes

That's what the doctor said this morning :crazyeyes

I'm a little confused/shocked to say the least :(

I'll chat to you guys sometime when I know what's happening ..
  • Options
    Good Luck with whatever you decide :)
  • Options
    Well .. it's still shit ..

Went to the hospital for a scan.. nothing was visible but the walls are thickened which usually happens in the early stages of pregnancy.

So they did a test.. and it came up negative (Even though we've had 3 clearblue's show positive, and two others..)

So she might be pregnant, we don't know. Other possibilities include the baby starting, like the sack or whatever so the hormone was released but it didn't take..

It's all so confusing, I lost it yesterday and put a 1 foot x 1 foot hole in my bedroom door with my fist, hand is a bit of a mess and I had to fork out for a new door today :(

I dunno.. life I guess..
  • Options
    I think it is quite rare for there to be false positives, because it detects the presence of a hormone, not the lack of one.

I hope I don't sound too nasty, but meh.

A lot of pregnancies end in miscarriage early in the cycle, at least that is what I have heard. I might be wrong, but don't panic for another week or two, until the hospital are more sure.

And, it goes without saying, don't panic, and be there for your girl.

*hug*
  • Options
    Yeah, so it looks like it could already be gone :(

thanks mate *hug*
  • Options
    Yeah, so it looks like it could already be gone :(

That would depend on whether your gf has had any bleeding or not, really. I'm no expert, and probably wrong, so meh.

Just be there for her, regardless of what happens :yes:
  • Options
    She hasn't had bleeding, yet.

And I will be there for her.

Well as the doctor explained it to me, the sperm could've taken to an egg, but literally for days/a week, and the pregnancy could've failed before even starting to create it, because in the beginning it's thickens the walls and releases the hormones (The hormones which are also used to test) - hGC
  • Options
    i hope it all goes alright for the both of you, whatever happens :)
  • Options
    Thanks, I did another test last night (we're supposed to wait until Thursday til we get one to go on according to the hospital).. and it came up positive!!

What a head fuck..