Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what is my problem???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have been seeing a tutor for the past few months because im so bad at maths, but it seems im not getting any better. he asks me simple questions and i cant even get those right!!!! he says "goodness, i have never met anyone who is always one number away from the answer"

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM AND WHY AM I SUCH A DUMBASS????

Comments

• Options
    Re: what is my problem???
    Originally posted by xXx~Lizzy~xXx

firstly, don't stress over it! that'll make you more upset and your head won't work.

when you have a question, look at it, think about it calmly - even if it takes you ages, then try and answer. and if you get it wrong, don't worry, just try and rethink or understand where you went wrong.
  • Options
    I've still never figured out how I got an A for Maths GCSE. I think either I got all my marks for working out, or my teacher was sleeping with the examiner.

Welsh_mosher's right; try not to get stressed. And always check over your answers. If there's a longer way of working the problem out, use that way, and maybe check it with the other way.
  • Options
    Firstly - maths is a very dodgy subject. Some people are good, some people are ok, some people suck at it. Nothing bad about it really - it's how each individuals person's mind works.

I am good at maths because I'm a logical learner - get As for analysis in science + english etc. But because of this - I'm not so good at creative work ie: I can't draw, sing, dance or anything like that. Not that i'd want to dance :nervous:. But anyway - just do your best and you cant be upset at yourself with that :)

You shouldn't be stressed about anything - only if you're not doing what you can do. If you're slacking off all the time and stuff and then like have 2 days left to the deadline (ie: me) then you have reason to be stressed cos it's my own fault :p.

But seriously lizzy don't worry about maths too much - it's important but if you weren't born to be a mathmetician then maybe you'll be... :chin: an actress?
  • Options
    i have been seeing a tutor for the past few months because im so bad at maths, but it seems im not getting any better. he asks me simple questions and i cant even get those right!!!! he says "goodness, i have never met anyone who is always one number away from the answer"

well if your always one out, keep doing what your doing then just add 1!!
  • Options
    maybe your maths tutor aint too good?
    i've been seeing mine since about october i'd say and i've learnt so much in a really short time - my maths lessons at school just confuse the hell outta me cos we have a shite teacher so i use those lessons for sleeping
    (but then again maths comes pretty easy to me when it's explaind right)
  • Options
    Well a bit of a personal question here.. do you drink much or take any drugs?

I don't really know what to say, just keep at it, it's bound to make sense sometime.

I know some subjects can be bad, especially maths, i used to hate doing some parts of it, mind you some wasn't too bad.

It was the teacher that made it bearable the sexy bitch, she is one of those type of model women, you sometimes wonder why she is in teaching.
  • Options

You dont have a problem, your NORMAL.

I have never understood mathematics and I never will, im crap at it and its pointless me thinking I ever will be a mathematician.

So what do I do about it ?
    Well focus on what I am good at, make the grades in other subjects. Make sure your other subjects dont suffer because you are not good at maths. Obviously keep trying with the maths and if you are not sure what your doing then ask for it to be explained again. Maybe catch your tutor alone and explain how hard you find maths, your tutor could think you are just being awkward so if they are aware of your problem chances are they will take extra time to explain it in an easier way.

Seriously your not alone on this, many pupils will be excellent in one subject and get brilliant grades but in another subject they just aint got a clue.
  • Options
    Re: Re: what is my problem???
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Seriously your not alone on this, many pupils will be excellent in one subject and get brilliant grades but in another subject they just aint got a clue.

:yes:

even with different parts of maths. i did maths (pure and stats) AS, and while i was getting straight As in pure, i just could not understand stats. even though it was the other way round for everyone else. i was getting Es, Ns, Us. hopeless is not the word. and stats is supposed to be easier than pure.

everyone has stuff that they're good at, and stuff that they're crapper at. but that doesn't mean you can't get better, so keep trying :)