Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Swastica?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here

Saw this in a newspaper I read outta boredom last night, although the report was a little longer.

It claimed in the paper that the inclusion of the symbol would encourage casual use... But how far would you say this is true?

After all the swastica was originally a symbol of peace and in a society where apparently we have freedom of speech, is this not going too far on the grounds of political correctness?

What if a kid was writing a class project on Nazi germany for example?

Comments

• Options
    Don't know. Depends on whether the inclusion was an honest design mistake or was put there on purpose.

As I understand it the nazi swastika is an inversion of the traditional swastika (originally from India and at least 1,000 years old) and the two signs can be easily told apart. So if it turns out to be the nazi version someone would have some explaining to do.

Unless it was an honest design fluke. And there is the possibility of people purposely looking for swastikas for their own reasons. Remember how some people claim to 'see' the conical hat of the Ku Klux Klan on packets of Marlborough cigarettes and argue that this is done on purpose by the race supremacists who own Marlborough parent company Phillip Morris (a load of bollocks if you ask me).
  • Options
    I think it should be left in, if you were that bothered you would just draw one in by hand or using the billions of drawing packages around. The nazis are part of our history, they should not be excluded.

Bopz
  • Options
    I agree it should be left in. What if you're doing a history project? What about freedom of speech?
  • Options
    Yes it is inscensitive but...

i cant help thinking that when we are trying to be so politically correct half the time people arent nearly as offended as we assume they will be, im not saying that the Jewish community would have been happy with its inclusion, just not outraged.

I come from a partially Jewish background. If it wasnt for the Nazis i would have had a chance to have met great aunts and uncles etc i never got to meet, my mum didnt get to meet her family because they all died before she was even born. So it does touch a nerve with me, but despite this i wouldnt be outraged at the inclusion of it.

There is no way to keep every religious group, every political group etc happy...
  • Options
    The Jewish "community leaders" complained, it was like when Nike released those trainers the Muslim "community leaders" complained.

People complain too much these days, selfish wankers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The Jewish "community leaders" complained, it was like when Nike released those trainers the Muslim "community leaders" complained.

People complain too much these days, selfish wankers.

Oh stop complaining ;)
  • Options
    I wouldn't have a problem for the reason that Moonrat stated. I'm studying History and recently spent time looking on the net for a Swastika to illustrate an assignment I was doing.
  • Options
    I really dont think its a big deal at all.

Soon, christian crosses will be banned so as to not offend Jewish people, the star of David will be banned so as not to offend Muslims and so forth.. its getting rediculous.. i understand that it may be inscensitive, but having the swastica is hardly going to promote neo nazi feelings. Its a part of history, a very important part as has been said.
  • Options
    I don't understand why there was a swastika on the program any way? was it just floating around the screen harrassing people? jks

It shouldn't be banned, maybe apologised for because I'm assuming it was somewhere where it shouldn't have been. Swastikas a part of history, banning it is almost like censoring history. Very 1984ish (George Orwell fans will pick up on this)