Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Increase in AIDS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3482169.stm

I missed out on the big campaigns of the 80's warning against AIDS and HIV and I think in my generation, people are not really educated about the risk and don't see it as a big problem.

For example, when I think about using contraception, my number one reason is not wanting to get pregnant, then after that, the risk of STD's. I don't really think about AIDS to be honest although maybe I should. What about other people?

Is the fact that 4 out of 5 new cases were contracted abroad anything to be concerned about? If there are particular countries where many cases seem to originate from, couldn't there be some kind of scheme, awareness, testing or SOMETHING to stop this horrible disease being a major threat to the UK?

Comments

• Options
    Im with you on youre middle paragraph... If i ever havent used contraception, im mainly concerned about pregnancy and other STIs AIDS doesnt cross my mind, I have been for an STI test and gave a blood sample for testing, but told them not to test for HIV because i really really dont want to know.

I have seen billions of busses lately warning of Aids, so i guess theyre at least attempting to step up awareness.. not good enough in my books though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    told them not to test for HIV because i really really dont want to know.

really? :crazyeyes i cant see how you wouldnt want to know, if it was unlikely anyway, wouldnt you rather have had the all clear? or if it had been positive got drugs etc for it?
  • Options
    Even if you don't want to know lil_minx I reckon your partners would.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    really? :crazyeyes i cant see how you wouldnt want to know, if it was unlikely anyway, wouldnt you rather have had the all clear? or if it had been positive got drugs etc for it?

Eaxctly and what about the people that you could have inflected? Not a thought for them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    I have been for an STI test and gave a blood sample for testing, but told them not to test for HIV because i really really dont want to know.

Are you mad? You really should know, you could be passing it on.

I'm no angel, I've taken some very silly risks in my life, but I do get tested if I think I've been particularly stupid.
  • Options
    Dont they automatically test for that anyway ?
  • Options
    The reason why levels of heterosexual women contacting the AIDS virus are going through the roof is because of exactly what lil_minx said.

People are shagging around and not using sufficient protection- it's no wonder we've got the highest rates of teenage pregnancy in Western Europe, and it's no wonder that the numbers of those contracting STIs is shooting up.
  • Options
    They ask you if you want to be. They ask you if you have slept with any people in "at risk" groups or have ever injected drugs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Dont they automatically test for that anyway ?

Depends on what you want to be tested for. Last time I got tested was due to a possible chlamydia scare, but I asked to get checked for HIV, gonorhea (sp?), syphilis and hepatitis as well.

Everything was negative. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta

Everything was negative. :)

Glad to hear that :D

No I was told by someone that when you go to the doctors and they take blood they automatically do a test as standard ? I dunno, maybe i caught the wrong end of the stick.
  • Options
    AFAIK thats not true.
  • Options
    sex was fun when i was your ages. now it has fear attatched to it.
  • Options
    HIV tests have to be requested , with counselling on request and on delivery of result. Always a tense time however confident beforehand
  • Options
    HIV is becomming much more common- its scary!:eek:
  • Options
    Aye, you don't know who has it. That's why I'd never have casual sex.
  • Options
    Originally posted by freak
    HIV is becomming much more common- its scary!:eek:

Only because people are not keeping it in their pants, and not protecting it properly when they do whop it out.

The amount of promiscuity and rape in Africa is the main reason behind the AIDS epidemic over there- according to the BBC, over 50% of girls say they lost their virginity by force, so it's no wonder that AIDS is spreading like wildfire.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Becky, maybe what they were talking about is the screening they do when you give blood?