Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

headaches

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For about the last week or so I get absoutly horrible headaches. The kind where it throbs in your entire head and neck and you can't even lye down because it hurts too much. Tylenol and the like never works that much in making it any better, the only way I can really make it go away is vicodin or similar stuff. Is there like something wrong? I can't just go to a doctor as I would have to drive 6 hours and I don't even have medical insurance anymore, so is it bad or do you think it will go away soon.

Comments

• Options
    If it's only a week, it doesn't sound that serious to me yet but I'd make the long journey to see the docs if it carries on.

Things that popped into my head, ie what it could be -

Tiredness and too much tea/coffee/coke etc - can do funny things to you.

Dehydration will give you headaches so make sure you're drinking enough water.

Migraines - don't know much about them though, but I think you can suddenly become prone to them even if you've never had them before.

Finally, sounds like paranoia but better safe than sorry - check other symptoms for meningitis. Rash? Fever? Feeling hot? etc...
  • Options
    Vicodin is a strong drug, might I ask how you get that, are you prescribed that?

Most people find Ibruprofen better than Tylenol (paracetamol for the UK) for headaches for its anti-inflamatory effects.

You might want to try Nurofen Max, if you can get it, that is 200mg Ibruprofen and 12.8mg codine per tablet and is very effective on most headaches.

However if you are getting strong pain without a fever then you should talk to yout doctor about it.
  • Options
    If its in your neck it could be a tension headache, they are horrible. Does your neck/shoulders feel tense? I get these if thats what it is & the only way of stopping mine are strong painkillers constantly for a few days.
    Probably worth going to get yourself checked out if you arent sure why you have them.
  • Options
    headaches factsheet

Go see your doctor or pharmacist if they continue

Susie :)
  • Options
    Its not as simple as that though if she has no medical insurance. Thats the problem with the US system, people fall through the fuck off huge cracks.
  • Options
    i have headaches all the bloody time, so i feel your pain

it could be the weather...when its close, or cold but sunny i get them...they should go away :)

try sitting, or lying if you can, in a darkened room and get some rest. Being tired doesnt help

rubbing your hand is supposed to help. Maybe it just takes your mind off it, i dunno, but its maybe worth a shot. Rub the squidgey bit on the top of the hand, between thumb and first finger.

Could it be your glasses, or too much time spent looking at a screen? I dunno....these things affect me

Hope they get better though! :)
  • Options
    Massage works on pain because of the way that the body percives pain. There are three types of nerves in the skin, one for pain, one for touch and one for heat/cold.

So the general jist of how massage works is that you swamp the brain with touch nerve signals and the brain cant 'listen' to the pain ones at the same time. Make sense?

Obviously though just rubbing it may well just make it worse.
  • Options
    My mum's yoga instructor taught her a very simple and effective method of relieving headaches. Ive had terrible ones in the past and it has relieved them. Dont worry, you wont have to bend your body in all sorts of weird positions, i dont rember exactly what it is at this second, ill ask my mum tonight and get back to you.