Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Quitting smoking again.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yes, i'm doing it again.
Although, doing a hell of a lot better than last time. I Had my last cigarette around 9pm last night, haven't had one since. Doesn't sound like much, but after a year\year and a half of not going one day without a ciggie, It's quite a feat for me, and i'm dead proud of myself. Everyone's being dead supportive and trying not to stress me out too much, although i have been getting quite stressed. I've got an amazing amount of willpower for this, every time the thought of cigarettes passes my mind i remind myself of the key points [also write them on my hands\arms at moments of weakness]
  • More money
  • Fresh breath
  • nice smelling hair
  • Nicer skin
  • no more yellow hands\brown teeth
  • Cleaner look
  • Can wear deodrants, aftershave etc without it being masked by smoke
  • Don't have to worry about running out on a night out
  • More attractive image overall
  • More confidence - without the smell of smoke, people feel more comfortable talking to you
  • And the death\cancer thing

It's distracting me from schoolwork slightly, but It's much better for me in the long run. I've not really had such serious cravings yet, no doubt they'll come, but if i can manage one full day, i can use that as something to tell myself i can do, and i can be proud of acheiving.

Sorry about that waffle, typing with my hands and mouth [hand mouth action] :p j\k

Duffy

Comments

• Options
    Go you! :D
  • Options
    Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it several times :p
  • Options
    Come on Doofay! You can do it!

And other such encouraging noises.

You know it's good for you, and those are all really good points. Good luck, and post here if you want more encouraging noises.
  • Options
    YEY

lets not forget more money for blackpool tbh :D

good luck with it x
  • Options
    Do it if you want to doofay!

What about if your out and someone rolls a spliff...they put tobacco in say...what are you going to do, refuse the spliff because of the tobacco? or have you quit weed as well?
  • Options
    go 4 it baby. :cool:

beat the 1st 7 days & U should B on your way!!! :)

Champollion :wave:
  • Options
    If you need some more help, we have a feature on giving up here.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Well done, good on you. When i gave up i looked at it the same way as you. If i can give up for a day then i can use that to remind myself i don't need it.
    I did find avoiding smokey places for a few weeks helped and by the time i went back to a pub i didn't want one anyway.

Anyway all the best. :)
  • Options
    Thanks 4 the link "Spanner". ;) I have been thru 2 Quit & am going 2 give it try. :cool: Just think an extra 100quid (R1000) a month. :D great
  • Options
    Cheers everyone, i've been since monday night without one, meaning i have had my first full day without one in a year and a half. Everyone at school is so supportive and kind about it, and I've purposely told everyone so if i do fold, i'll get 10x the suffering i'm getting from quitting - if everyone goes mad at me it would crush all this new found self confidence i've got - my friend told me i smelt really nice today, another person told me i looked a lot cleaner than usual, and people stood near me when talking to me, and didn't attempt to escape smoke breath. Anyone thinking of quitting smoking, it's a challenge - but it's actually kind of fun. :]

I've been using that one tweety :)
    Cheers all,
    Duffy
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay

I've been using that one tweety :)
    Cheers all,
    Duffy

Well done keep up the good work, you should be proud :).
  • Options
    Everyone at school is being brilliant, telling me how proud they are, and even if it's only the odd word of encouragment it really raises my confidence. My mum and dad are so pleased and are being dead kind, giving me sweets for school to nibble on and getting me nicotine gum. My friend gave me his nicotine inhaler, which really helps with the hand mouth. I'm still getting around 2 hours of serious stress every day, mainly in smokey areas such as bus stations where it's painfull to look at someone smoking and know you can't have it. I have an immense amount of willpower, and would seriously advise quitting to anyone, no matter what situation you are in at the time. If anything it brings you closer to people :) I guarantee you will feel much much better for quitting. can already feel myself breathing easier :D

Seriously - if you smoke, pack it in for half a week on a trial basis - you want to carry on smoking fine, but i feel much better than i ever have since i started smoking. It really is amazing how much it changes your life without you knowing. Theres no point giving up all that money for a plant when all you'll have to show for it is a filthy pair of lungs, and horrible breath.

Quit now! :p

Duffy
  • Options
    :D Been 3days for me. Battling along and had to have a drag. Good news is that I have gone from 30 a day to about 8 (70% down)
    Can't believe it but found out that it only takes 7seconds for those chemicals to get into the blood stream from the time of taking a drag. --- :mad: --- bad news hey!!!!
  • Options
    It will be a week in half an hour :D
  • Options
    Hurrah - I've been off them for over 4 months. I know I've cracked it cos I can't even remember when my last one was...keep going!!
  • Options
    I stop for ages but then will have one in the pub-I never smoke anywhere apart from when I go clubbing n to the pub with my mates. So how do I stop that-tips ppl?

I don't crave them in the week or even weekends when I stay home, its weird.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    I stop for ages but then will have one in the pub-I never smoke anywhere apart from when I go clubbing n to the pub with my mates. So how do I stop that-tips ppl?

I don't crave them in the week or even weekends when I stay home, its weird.

get drunk really quickly! :p