Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

advantages/disadvantages of changing passports

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, basically my dad has said that if i want to i can change to having an irish passport, we briefly discussed advcantages/disadvantages but i wonderd if any of you knew any solid reasons that i should/shouldnt

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Do you have a British passport at the mo?
  • Options
    yup
  • Options
    As far as I know, there aren't any counties that differentiate between the two in that it gives you an advantage/disadvantage to enter the country on the other passport...... I could be wrong but I looked in to this ages ago when I could get either a British or an Irish passport....
  • Options
    irish passports - you avoid the hassle you get at some countries because they dont like british people. my brother has one. not sure how important it will be because do you travel a lot? Because my brother travels constantly so thats why he needs it just incase (you'd be surprised in some countries - the customs will arrest you / search you just for your nationality).

If you only ever take the annual family holiday I wouldn't bother. But it's up to you :)
  • Options
    It depends a lot on where you wish to go.

Yes an Irish passport will allow you to go to some places where us Brits arent exactly liked, Zimbabwe for example.

However a British passport will give you all the EU style benefits of the Irish one but also we have closer ties with ex-empire countries so it is easier to move there. Places like New Zealand for example make it easier for Brits to move there than other EU people.
  • Options
    i usually take about 5-7 trips abroad a year.

my aunt had to get one cos when she moved to the states there was some business about quotas for immigration and ireland apparently has quite high quotas
  • Options
    Spanner said to have a look here, it may give you some info.....

Embassy World
    http://www.embassyworld.com
    EmbassyWorld.com - All of the world's embassies in a searchable database, including consulates, UN missions. Also provides worldwide visa requirements, international telephone search.
  • Options
    Why can't you have both? I've got British and Australian.
  • Options
    i've got british and uae...your entitled to another passport if you have a british one but some like the uae dont allow you to have more than one etc...but id say get both