Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

NHS Dental Service

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have an 8 yr old Daughter who recently visited the dentist. On her previous visit I was told she would probably need a brace when she was a bit older. So on this visit I asked wether they thought she would still need a brace and I was told yes.

Now apparently treatment wont start till she is about 12 years old but because of waiting times in our area there is currently a 18mth waiting list for this type of thing. So why if a child needs a brace should they wait this length of time to even be seen ? they are referring kids much sooner purely because they know how long the waiting list to be seen is. So chances are when my Daughter is 10yrs+ she will get referred and be seen when she's 12, thats assuming these waiting times stay the same.

So who says our NHS is improving ? Not in my area they aint.

Comments

• Options
    The dental service has been a disgrace for years. Its very difficult to find a dentist that will take NHS patients in most areas.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    The dental service has been a disgrace for years. Its very difficult to find a dentist that will take NHS patients in most areas.

Yeah there was something about having to pay £25 a year to even be registered at one of our dentists....whats all that about ?
    I only caught so much of it on the news.
  • Options
    Sorry, don't know much about NHS Dentists - not an area I have got involved in.

That said, I do know that they don't feel that the NHS pays them enough for the treatment they offer and that's why many have shut their doors to new NHS patients.

As so many shut their doors, the waiting lists increase.

I agree that it is a disgrace and I cannot differentiate between dentists and GPs in the importance of the services they offer. It's one of those occasions, IMHO, where too little publicity about the issue means that the politicians aren't interested...
  • Options
    Dentists seem to be a bit like the Masons with all the special rules (with regards income) they have. I think that emergency or essential dentisty should be on the NHS full stop, that's what National Insurance is for after all.

The same goes for Optitians as well.