Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I have a question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
.. related to politics etc but im not starting a debate im afraid!

For people interested in Philosophy there are public seminars..
For people interested in all sorts of things there seem to be public seminars come to think of it, i cant find anything related to politics or international relations things like that..

I need to boost my personal statement for uni, want to say ive taken an active part in learning.. but i cant find any sort of public thing i can go to. And, i think it would be quite interesting anyway..

Do people know of anything i can go to? Or know of where i can get info?

Comments

• Options
    Try these people for a start...

http://www.psa.ac.uk/

Beyond that, there are numerous symposiums, conferences and Roundtables organised on all sorts of policy areas which im sure you can find out about by doing searches for "Conference Organisers, political" or somesuch combination.

The PSA should be able to point you in the right direction.
  • Options
    brilliant.. thank you.. ill have a read :)

if anybody has mroe ideas or info im still listening :)

cheers clandestine
  • Options
    There are talks given at a few of the big London Uni's (LSE for example or SOAS for international stuff) and I'd maybe contact the Institute for Policy and Planning. They might be able to point you in the right direction, they are a very important think tank.

SOAS is part of the University of London, its the Society for Oriental and African Studies I think.
  • Options
    thanks budda... LSE, that would be handy! Easier and cheaper than trottong off to Brimingham or somewhere.

am in the PSA website, shocked at how cheap it is for a years membership.. given the reduced fees you get for conferences etc too
  • Options
    Thing is, do you have to be a graduate to join PSA? or attend lectures/seminars? Because.. im hardly well educated!
  • Options
    I dont know anything about its membership composition, I just found it for you because you asked.

Best suggestion i can make is to call them and ask someone working for them. Everyone has to start somewhere so why shouldn't you be able to join and learn if you take an interest in it?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Here is one you could look at- Policy Library is a social, economic and foreign policy resource

and I know another one, but I cant remember it at the mo......
  • Options
    aww youre all so helpfull!
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Shameless plug - if you are interested in volunteering you can always check out theSite's sister site, http://www.do-it.org.uk/ :D
  • Options
    alaistair campbell is doing a talk in my uni's hall, the ucl bloombury theatre, should be errr interesting to say the least, its £3 a ticket for students
  • Options
    You should take advantage of the opportunity to show how enterprising you are and sell all ticket holders a dozen eggs to take in with them. That'd liven up the event and give Mr. Campbell the welcome he deserves in one fell swoop. ;)
  • Options
    never forget your local library in this electronic age. they are a mine of local information and you get to have your hair blown about in the wind ...have a copy with that attractive person over there. local knowledge and personality.
  • Options
    The library i belong to is complete wank...

It really is terrible, the amount of books they've had to get in from other librarys for me is shocking. They've never once had a decent non-fiction book. Ive given up with them.