Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

quickness of NHS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK. I'm at the bottom. I need help and I need it now. Need to go and detox. Too much alcohol over too long a period of time. I have an appointment at a drug and alcohol clinic on the 26th Feb but thats just an assessment/initial session. I've screwed it all up and I need to get the alcohol out of my system. If I went to the doctors tomorrow, could I get into hospital straight away to detox? What about A&E? Cananyone help? Please?

Comments

• Options
    The NHS seems to be quite crappy, so I'd go to A&E. They're the quickest, and they'll refer you to the right department. DOn't feel like you're 'cheating' either - it sounds as if you do have an emergency case in that you need to sort out your body immediately...

Good luck. I'm impressed that you're taking a step like this :) it's definitely a good thing to be doing.
  • Options
    What, exactly, are A&E going to do?

I'd send a PM to Man Of Kent, ask his opinion because he works in the NHS system. But I don't think turning up to A&E with alcoholism will achieve very much- you'll just get referred to the drug and alcohol unit I would expect.

Be prepared for a wait after the referral meeting, though- at one point I was quoted eighteen months for a wait to see a psychotherapist. But, then again, I needed it more than a lot fo people, so they found me a place quickly.
  • Options
    Re: quickness of NHS
    Originally posted by PinkFeatherBoa
    If I went to the doctors tomorrow, could I get into hospital straight away to detox? What about A&E? Cananyone help? Please?

First can I just say that I appreciate that you have a problem, and that you need help for it.

Right that done, I'm now going to say something which you may not like.

Don't waste A&E time with something like this. Their name tells you what they are there for - Accidents and Emergencies. They aren;t there to get you into a detox programme. In fact Kermit has it right, they are much more likely to send you home with a appointment at the very clinic you already have an appointment with.

People often complain that the NHS is a problem, and that they have to wait a long time in A&E. Well there is a reason for that... people who go there, taking up valuable nurse/doctor time from "trivial" things like this. Whilst you are with them, they cannot see the real emergency patient who is sitting in the waiting room.

As for dealing with your problem, I'd suggest a visit to your GP. He might be able to get your assessment appointment brought forward if he thinks that you need it earlier. What you have to understand, and accept, though is that you haven't been offered such a date because the unit wants you to wait. You have been offered it because they cannot currently see you any earlier because they have other people who need their services too. If you are brought forward then someone else - in equally poor position, just not making a "fuss" - will have their appointment postponed...
  • Options
    and in the meantime if you need to talk to someone there's always:
    Drinkline
    Confidential telephone help, info and advice on all aspects of alcohol use and abuse. Calls are free.
    Telephone: 0800 9178282

Well done on taking the brave step to seek some help though and we're all here for help and support

Take care of you

Susie x