Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Taking pill packets back to back

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going travelling for a few months and was thinking there might be a time when I realllly don't want the hassle of having my period. I've just come off the pill for a month but am gonna go back on it next month.

I know its possible to take pill packets back to back hence avoiding your period but I'm unsure of how safe this is? I took something called Northisterone before to delay a period but don't really want that again.

Does anyone take the packets back to back for this reason? Or know anything about it? Would appreciate any help x

Comments

• Options
    You can get prescribed tablets from your GP which stop your period. To be honest i cant remember what they are called and basically you take them and it stops your period. The time i used them was when I was going on holiday.
    Maybe you could get a course of them pills to take with you ?

edited to add this might be of no use to you, as them tablets you talked about could be the same ones.
    Sorry :(
  • Options
    It shouldnt cause u any problems whatsoever. Ive been taking the contraceptive pill back to back for nearly 2 years to treat my endometriosis.
    However as your not used to it, it would be wise to visit a doctor and get your blood pressure taken first.
  • Options
    Lots of people do this, especially when they're going on holiday, but it is best to consult your GP first - easpecially if you ahve been off the pill for a while. It is worth knowing that it can make your next period worse in terms of PMT, and it isn't advised to keep on doing it, but once shouldn't hurt.
    You can also speak to the following organisations for advice:

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Telephone: 0800 0185023

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk
    :)
  • Options
    My wife normally goes straight through two at a time because she will forget one day and then the pack tells you to go straight on through. Although as others have said your period at the end of that could be pretty unpleasant in terms of pain and blood.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    My wife normally goes straight through two at a time because she will forget one day and then the pack tells you to go straight on through. Although as others have said your period at the end of that could be pretty unpleasant in terms of pain and blood.
    omg you're married! thought you was about 18 or something..
  • Options
    Yep, I'm married, I have been now for, erm about 2 years 5 months. And no, I'm not 18.
  • Options
    Yep, I'm married, I have been now for, erm about 2 years 5 months. And no, I'm not 18.
    oooh :) how old are you then?
  • Options
    I dont like discussing my age, its a sensitive issue, I'm really old.
  • Options
    oh ok sorry!
  • Options
    Well I'm not that old, and I have told people on here once if you care enough to have a search. But its just I feel really old, especialy as the average age on here has dropped by 5 years at least in the last 6 months.
  • Options
    heh im not that bothered. there are various ages on these boards and it seems that it's the older ones who have more interesting things to say anyway :)
  • Options
    I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you. Your the first person to think I'm younger than I am.
  • Options
    Your the first person to think I'm younger than I am.

Nope, I thought you were younger too. :)

I've just had to start on a second pack in a row as I missed one of my pills, but I've never done it before.

If you're that worried, just go and seek some advice from your doc :)
  • Options
    So how old did you think I was then?
  • Options
    i take three packs at a time, on my doctors advice (i get all anaemic if i bleed too much) and as long as you have a chat to the doctor and he checks out your blood pressure and all, it should cause no ill effects.
  • Options
  • Options
    Cheers guys...I went to the doctors anyway about some other stuff and he says it's fine to do, just don't take more than 3 packets back to back so you girlies are correct.

I have been off the pill for a couple of months but started again today so I've got the option of not having a period at an awkward time while I'm travelling.:cool:

Now gotta just make sure I don't get deep vein thrombosis (can't spell?!) on all these long plane journeys! I'm sure I'll be ok!
  • Options
    How long are you on the flight for, if its only a short one you could take an asprin, that will help, on longer ones though this isnt as effective.
  • Options
    One more thing.. after taking three packets in a row, does it make your period really heavy after that? Cos presumably it all builds up and stuffff...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pink Soda
    One more thing.. after taking three packets in a row, does it make your period really heavy after that? Cos presumably it all builds up and stuffff...

mine doesn't.

one of the effects of the pill is to thin the womb lining, so i find them lighter than normal, if anything.

they're just, how can i put this without sounding ming? less fresh than if you have one a month.
  • Options
    I take two packs as normally I get breakthrough bleeding if I take three back to back-tho over xmas I didn't so yay!

It doesn't mean you have extra blood does it because I thought it wasn't a "real" period-or am I getting confused?