Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

fair and unbiased?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://blugg.com/stuff/foxs_view_of_the_bbc_player.htm

Fox News is owned by Murdoch though

Comments

• Options
    Now that is priceless, a commentator from the one news organisation which went so far as to argue (and win) in a Florida appeals court the right to lie and misinform the public (which is all it does).

http://www.organicconsumers.org/rbgh/akre022603.cfm

And on US media in general...

http://www.bigeye.com/092103.htm
    Excerpt:

MIAMI, FLORIDA - I've long considered CNN's Christiane Amanpour an outstanding journalist.

Last week my opinion of her rose further when she ignited a storm of controversy when asked by a TV interviewer about US media's coverage of the Iraq War. Breaking a taboo of silence in mainstream media, Amanpour courageously replied, `I think the press was muzzled and I think the press self-muzzled. Television…was intimidated by the Administration and its foot soldiers at Fox News.'

Right on cue, faithful to Reichsmarshall Hermann Goering's advice to slander all dissenting views as treason, Fox accused Amanpour of being a `spokeswoman for al-Qaida.' I felt for Ms Amanpour, having myself been slandered by the US neo-conservative media as `a friend of Saddam' for disputing White House claims about Iraq — whose secret police had threatened to hang me on my last visit to Baghdad.

The pro-war, neo-conservative `National Review,' whose flaccid mama's boys never seem to have served in their own nation's armed forces, actually had the nerve to call me, who volunteered for the US Army during the Vietnam War, `un-patriotic.'

Christiane Amanpour is absolutely right, the US media was muzzled and censored itself. I experienced this firsthand on US TV, radio, and in print. Never in my twenty years in media have I seen such unconscionable pressure exerted on journalists to conform to the government's party line.

And the extent to which the US public has demonstrated itself truly misinformed...

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Iraq/Media_10_02_03_Report.pdf

All told, I say GO BEEB! The handful of moguls controlling mainstream media have relinquished any legitimate criticism of non-controlled agencies such as the BBC which stand as the last bastion against the ideologically driven pablum-cum-entertainment which passes for news in the "land of the free".
  • Options
    Fox News should be dismantled and its editors put against a wall and shot.

Freedom of Speech or even the right to life are too good for those utter cunts.
  • Options
    All media should be removed from corporate control altogether and broken up so as to return to as many hands as possible. Only that way can spirited and vibrant public debate be restored and proper scrutiny both of the corporate elites and the government be consistently exercised without censorship.

Yanking all Murdoch's licenses and forbidding him and his counterparts from ever again owning any media concerns would be crushing enough a penalty for his manipulative and vitriolic ambitions.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    All media should be removed from corporate control altogether and broken up so as to return to as many hands as possible.

...which is where Murdoch's hatred of the European Union comes in.

Especially as, apropos of nothing, they've quashed Sky's monopoly on Premier League football. It'll only be the start, I hope.
  • Options
    Jumping Jehosephat :lol:

'Tis only a personal opinion spot, though, which is a shame because it lets the guy get away with stuff that would probably be actionable in a news report. That the Beeb don't allow this kind of thing, even bring in new rules preventing it's journalists from voicing their opinions outside of the BBC, says all that needs to be said.

Cool format, by the way. I just clicked on the link and it played, none of that buffering jazz. Having broadband probably helps, I suppose.
  • Options
    And here's another opinion (from a bloke who's actually met Andrew Gilligan):

But Andrew Gilligan got it right...
  • Options
    I cant get sound on my computer due to the IT blokes at work being arses.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe

That the Beeb don't allow this kind of thing, even bring in new rules preventing it's journalists from voicing their opinions outside of the BBC, says all that needs to be said.
    Or in the BBC, for that matter, if they're involved with current events... ah, you know what I mean...
  • Options
    If you've ever watched Fox News on Sky you'll see it is anything but fair and unbiased. It's like giving Ann Coulter free reign on a TV channel. Every minor incident at an airport is a suspected terrorist attack and everyone who is pro-tax is a "damn pinko".

The Simpsons did a good parody of Fox News once even though they are owned by Fox. I believe they were threatened with a law suit too......
  • Options
    Just hope the Americans don't take him on his word!
  • Options
    Far too many do sad to say.
  • Options
    The BBC undoubtedly behaved foolishly, and its watchdog/management system needs reforming.

That video was one guys opinion, but it does not hide the fact that Murdoch was the only one to win from the Hutton report.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I cant get sound on my computer due to the IT blokes at work being arses.
    You really need to listen to the clip to appreciate the intemperate delivery of the piece (like Jerry Springer without the compassion), but:

Independent Media

'John Gibson is the host of The Big Story, an hour-long, early-evening show that Fox says "provides in-depth coverage and analysis of the day's top stories". Each day, Gibson, who sports a bright white bouffant hairstyle that would require planning permission anywhere outside New York City, spends the last moments of his programme delivering a sermon on the day's great events.

Here is the presenter's on-screen analysis of Andrew Gilligan and the BBC, five hours after the Hutton report was published.

"The British Broadcasting Corporation was forced to pay up for its blatant anti-Americanism before and during the Iraq war. A frothing-at-the-mouth anti-Americanism that was obsessive, irrational and dishonest.

"The BBC - the 'Beeb' - was one of the worst offenders in the British press because it felt entitled not only to pillory Americans and George W Bush, but because it felt entitled to lie. And when caught lying, it felt entitled to defend its lying reporters and executives.

"The incident involved the reporter Andrew Gilligan who made a fool of himself in Baghdad when the American invasion actually arrived in the Iraqi capital. Gilligan, pro-Iraqi and anti-American, insisted on the air that the Iraqi army was heroically repulsing an incompetent American military. Video from our own Greg Kelly of the American army moving through Baghdad at will put the light to that.

"After the war, back in London, Gilligan got a guy named David Kelly to tell him a few things about pre-war assessments on Iraq's weapons' programmes. And Gilligan exaggerated about what Kelly had told him.

"Kelly committed suicide over the story and the BBC, far from blaming itself, insisted its reporter had a right to lie, exaggerate, because, well, the BBC knew the war was wrong and anything it could say to underscore that point had to be right.

"The British government investigation slammed the BBC Wednesday and a Beeb exec resigned to show they got it.

"But they don't."

At this point, Gibson made a grab for the small badge on his jacket, and held it up to the camera. Referring to claims from the BBC that the audience for BBC World, the corporation's international news channel, rose during the Gulf War because of its impartial take on events, he continued:

"So the next time you hear the BBC bragging about how much superior the Brits are delivering the news [he adopts a British accent] rather than Americans who wear flags in their lapels, remember it was the Beeb caught lying." '
  • Options
    *deleted the thread he made about this before seeing this one*:blush:

It's almost sickening, the ultra right wing lieing media and its propaganda should be destroyed. Well hopefully people wont beleive it
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    It's almost sickening, the ultra right wing lieing media and its propaganda should be destroyed. Well hopefully people wont beleive it

What about the ultra left-wing lying media and its propaganda.

What must always be remembered is that people will use whatever sources they deem necessary to back up a viewpoint- whether that is wrong or not depends on whether you agree with the viewpoint.

Take Coulter and Moore. They're both as hopelessly biased as each other, but most people on here agree with Moore so his viewpoint is seen as "correct" and the horrendous bias is ignored. The BushBots over at mil.com agree with Coulter, so her bias is ignored.

Who decides what bias is right and what bias is wrong?