Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

mydoom.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have recieved a dozen messages since yesterdat from my isp telling me they have intercepted this virus. when checking the sender ...all strangers!
beware of mydoom!
i'm fortunate that my isp seems to stop most of these things before my A.V software even gets a look in.

Comments

• Options
    I don't keep an address book so i don't tend to have trouble with these things. I never even seem to have them sent to me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks
    I don't keep an address book so i don't tend to have trouble with these things. I never even seem to have them sent to me.

Same here, although i use MSN if i need an e-mail, and have a .txt file of erroneous addresses :)
  • Options
    I've been getting those emails too :yes:
  • Options
    I got loads of those messages. Ran the anti-virus software, and found I had it. Cleaned it up, and no trouble since. Phew!
    Time to run your anti-virus scanners!!!!!!!
  • Options
    i had a email with a attachment with hello in the subject line and it was from usa.com or something it just screamed VIRUS at me so i deleted it straight away.

I dont like taking chances especially when i got about 5 gb of music and movies at stake.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I got loads of those messages. Ran the anti-virus software, and found I had it. Cleaned it up, and no trouble since. Phew!
    Time to run your anti-virus scanners!!!!!!!
    scanned ...no viruses.
  • Options
    is it updated though this is a newish virus
  • Options
    Rolly,

I'm getting a load of the same messages, I don't have the virus but it seems to have spoofed my email, so it's sending out my email address as a return address.

Apparantly Mydoom is programmed to stop spreading on the 12th feb.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    Same here, although i use MSN if i need an e-mail, and have a .txt file of erroneous addresses :)

Most of these new viruses now check for TXT files (amongst others) as virus creators are becoming more aware of people not using the address book function.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bomberman444
    is it updated though this is a newish virus
    yes ...my av software updates itself half a dozen times a week ...sometimes three times a day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    Rolly,

I don't have the virus but it seems to have spoofed my email, so it's sending out my email address as a return address.

not sure i understand that. how would i know if that was happening? all seems well.
  • Options
    Just that it may be coming from someone you know but altering the addresses so they appear to be strangers.
  • Options
    Just that it may be coming from someone you know but altering the addresses so they appear to be strangers.
    ahh ...i see. did i hear somewhere that this virus isn't progged to shut down but to lead a large scale attack on some private company on that date ...they must have pissed someone off big time if it's true.
  • Options
    It's targeted at SCO, a company that owns part of the Linux open source code, they are currently involved in a dispute over whether linux should be free or they can claim royalities - see below.

sophos info
  • Options
    It's targeted at SCO, a company that owns part of the Linux open source code, they are currently involved in a dispute over whether linux should be free or they can claim royalities - see below.

sophos info
    clever stuff aye.
    so watch it beckyboo and anyone else who pisses me off ...i might send a tin of virtual maggots to eat your eyeballs!
    i have probably just comitted a federal offence and the fbi are on their way as i type ...