Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

my modem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At home I have an internal Modem. when i moved my computer last week it stopped working and wouldn't connect. y brother came over and fixed it. However, I turned off the power at the plug yesterday and now it won't work again.

Anyone know what I can do or why this is happening. I don't want my brother to have to come over all over again.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe it's a loose card? Internal modems are cards like this and slot into a motherboard like this and fit into the PCI ports shown there. This is how the card communicates with the rest of the computer.. sends information and stuff. However - if it is a bad connection (like a loose fitting card) then it can be shaken out of place - so it may have come physically loose. By what you described the first time this may be the case.

You could open your case and make sure all your PCI / AGP (another type of card) are slotted in all the way by just pressing down firmly on the top of each one. You could phone up your bro and ask him what the problem was, because it's gone wrong again?

In the olden days they used to stick them in with hot glue :p but dont anymore because it's not healthy for the computer :p and so many people upgrade all the time!